Cross

There are several sets of genes that can make chickens look white, and I'm not sure which ones the Australorp will have.

You could get white chicks.

Or you could get black chicks.

Or (less likely) you could get chicks with some pattern of brown & black, or white & black.

Crele has white barring. If the crele is the father, all chicks will have white barring, no matter what other colors they have. If the crele is the mother, sons will have white barring and daughters will not, again no matter what other colors they have. Black chicks with white barring will usually have a white or yellow spot on top of their head when they hatch. With chicks of other colors, the barring might not be obvious until they grow some feathers. And for white chicks, the barring may never be obvious (white barring on a white chicken.)

Edit to add:
I just found your rooster in another thread.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/crele.1610561/
Crele might be the best name for his color, but I don't think he has quite the genes I was expecting.

He looks like he only has one copy of the barring gene. That would mean that half of his chicks inherit barring, and half do not. The barring would be in half the sons, and in half the daughters (not useful for sexing them.)

Back
Top Bottom