Culled a chick today, do I need to medicate the rest?

BriannaR

In the Brooder
Apr 21, 2022
I unfortunately had to cull one of my one week old chicks this morning. She was unable to stand, was trying to peep but no sound was coming out, and she started having liquid white poop this morning. I gave her nutri drench and kept her hydrated with a dropper yesterday but she seemed much worse this morning. She was the smallest out of the bunch to begin with, and was about half the size of the remaining chicks when she was culled. She started to decline over the last three days- started with decreased activity, then not eating, then not standing.
I didn’t notice any fluffing or bloody stool before she was culled, but I am wondering if she could have still possibly had coccidiosis, and could have infected the remaining seven chicks.
Only other symptom she had was a faint clicking/cracking noise when she peeped- not sure if it was her lungs or food grinding together in her crop? She wasn’t sneezing at all, and there was no nasal discharge.
The remaining chicks seem to be doing well, all active and eating.
They currently eat scratch and peck starter feed, with grit mixed in, and have chick boost in their water.
Does it sound like I should be treating the rest for anything? This is the first time I’ve had to cull a chicken and the first one I’ve ever lost so I’m feeling pretty sad and scared for the rest.
Any advice is greatly appreciated!!!

Sometimes it is best to help them on their way and put an end to suffering, when their suffering will continue. When there is hope, and life, you let them live, but when they have no chance, you help them go. It is not easy to do. Not for me, not for you, but for some people it is. People are wired up different.

The way I do what needs to be done sometimes is to spend a little time holding the poor thing, if there is time, and calm it, and let it rest if it can, and I place it in a cloth, wrapped up like it's mothers feathers, so it's calm and resting.

I place it into a flat bottom hole, or on the flat ground, and with all the speed and sure aim I can manage, I bring the flat bottom of a brick down on it, making sure to include it's head. I sometimes follow it with another blow or two, just to be sure, and one for it's back.

The feeling of pain is felt inside the brain, between the neurons, and the time between the impact and the total inability of the neurons to talk to each other is so short, they don't have much chance to talk at all. It is a fast way to go, I believe it's without pain. I hope this helps.

I am not a muslim, but muslims insist that meat is something called 'Halal' and when I went to the bookstore and peaked in the idiots guide to islam, so I would know what people are talking about (I don't like to be ignorant) I didn't buy the book, but just read some, and later I met some muslims. Anyhow, what Halal meat means, is the person who has to kill the animal takes time and takes care to make sure that the animal does not feel pain, and if it must, then they must do whatever they can to make the pain as small and fast as they can, and they say a prayer, and that's it. That's all. I thought, hey that's pretty good, and although I am not muslim and can't always find it, I get halal meat if I have a choice because it is kind to animals. I think that's a good thing. A lot of labels say things like cruelty free but I wonder if it is just a label some crooked rich person put on there and if it's a lie. At least I can trust it if it is Halal, because it's religious not money based.

Back
Top Bottom