Custom Co-Op Feed Blend for Laying Hens

Hard wheat is a net benefit , red milo is a downgrade. And in the quantities you are looking at, the mil lshould be able to get the nutribooster for you. Baiscally, its vitamins, calcium, some other stuff, and added synthetic Aminos if desired (yes, you desire).
Fertrell's product, or something like it, is like the bottom 15-20 ingredients on many feed bags.

Follow the link above, look at the ingredients, then compare you a common commercial feed. You will see some similarities.

and trust Lazy J's numbers over mine, he's adjusted for moisture, and has more accurate tables than I do.
I used my formulation program that I use with commercial livestock feeds.

... We have been unsuccessful in finding a place that is knowledgeable in chicken nutrition, and ratios/nutritional information online that,
https://extension.okstate.edu/programs/backyard-poultry/

Scroll down to "Poultry Ration Calculator" under Resources

The directions didn't work on my phone. If they don't on your computer, try the county extension office for help. Or call them. Or stop in the main office.

..nutribooster. Should I mix it in to the feed or have it available separately? Will it fill in the gaps, or do I need to also add salt?
Nurtibalancer is mixed into the feed.

It comes in various versions. Some are more complete than others, that is, have salt or not, trace minerals or not, vitamins or not, probiotics or not. You can even get some with the most limiting amino acids. It is called different things by different companies. Fertrell is the company many use.

Hi friends! We have decided to move away from commercial feed and have our feed blended at a local co-op so we can buy in bulk totes to store in our barn. The co-op does not have a specific blend they offer, but we were given a 16% "recipe" from a friend which we recently had the coop blend for us to try. We got 500 lbs to start with. The chickens seem to like it, but they don't eat all the corn. I feel like it has way too much corn in it (or maybe just needs to be ground finer). They also have very water stool--which may just be them adjusting to the new feed. We've been feeding it for about a week. They are still laying great on this feed. My questions is: Does anyone here have experience with buying a custom blend that they are happy with for their layers? And if so, will you share the "recipe?" Or if you are just a chicken nutritionist who can make recommendations, I'd love that, too. They do free range about half a day every other day (I have two separated pens of chickens so they have to take turns.)

Bonus question: Would you recommend a higher protein content so it can be used for our chicks as well? Or do you have a recommendation of something I can mix in by hand to the feed I give the chicks to raise the protein?

Here's a picture of the coop blend:
View attachment 3419721

So this breaks down to (roughly):
  • Wheat - 25%
  • Corn - 25%
  • Milo - 25%
  • S/B Meal - 16%
  • Oats - 7.7%
  • Molasses - .7%
  • Oyster Shell - .7%
I belong to a Facebook group call Poultry Breeders Nutrition. It is run by Jeff Mattocks, a poultry nutritionist for Fertrell company. There are several recipes on the group and on the Fertrell site. If you have different needs, he will formulate something different for you.

Back
Top Bottom