Cut up after processing

MJ000

Hatching
Jun 2, 2023
Hi team,

Hoping to have a discussion around cutting up our meat birds the same day as slaughter.

We usually chill them for a few hours, and rest them in a fridge overnight before cutting them into usable pieces the next day. Was wondering if there is any down side to doing it all the same day/same time? I feel like this would save a whole bunch of time but would hate to ruin a whole batch trying it out and figured someone here should have some helpful advice. :) Thanks in advance.

All I can say, is I have done it that way quite a few times, and never had any problems.
I would cut them up into drumsticks, thighs, wings, breasts and backbones (for stock) and leave the bones in. (except for the breasts)
It all tastes very good! :D

I cut them up and bag parts or bag whole roasts right after evisceration. That way, they are done with, and I can put them in the ice in the cooler without contaminating the ice in the cooler. For 7-9 wk CX, I put boneless skinless breasts and tenders in one bag, legs, thighs, and wings in another, and the carcass for soupmaking in a third gallon ziplock bag. Organs and feet if I have them go in a fourth bag. Bags get put in the cooler of ice until I finish for the day. The ice in the cooler can last several days this way, which is good when I have to spread processing out over several days because it's just me doing it. It was March, so that helped. Cooled chicken from the cooler goes into the fridge after it's cooled down by the ice, at the end of my processing day. Chicken rests in the fridge 3 days or so until rigor has passed, then I freeze.

A whole chicken, from grabbing out of the coop to putting it in the fridge, takes 1.5-2 hours, depending on if I skin or pluck (skinning is faster). I processed outside in March and about froze my hands off, so it was still pretty cold during processing, and there were no flies or mosquitoes.

I like to try and cut them up before rigor sets in - it's easier to work with the meat and to pull the breasts and tenders off the bone that way.

They've been delicious.

A thread you might find helpful:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...-want-to-be-sure-meat-is-safe-to-eat.1566685/

I don't know how much time it will actually save you. Don't compare your time to do this to any one else either. There are so many variables in that.

I part mine as I butcher. I save different parts for cooking and making broth and all that. It just suits the way I manage it. I finish one before I grab a second one to butcher so rigor mortis doesn't have time to set up before I finish. I don't see any land mines or booby traps parting them as you go.

Yeah, I wouldn't say I part mine out right after butchering because it saves any time, but if the chickens sit in the cooler I worry about them staying cool, or animals getting into the coolers or something. I don't worry once I get them into the fridge. So it's really more of a personal preference.

Back
Top Bottom