Damp coup

Jan 2, 2024
Minnesota chicken lover
I have a10x 24 coup made out of 3/4 in plywood with a tin roof. It has a 3x4 window and is vented along the 20ft roofline with a foot and a half overhang. It is off the ground about 8 inches. We built the coup to house 20 hens. I painted the floor and insulated the north wall. We use oat straw for bedding. We are have a problem with the coup being very damp. There are no leaks. I don’t know what we can do to keep our girl dry any suggestions would be appreciated.

Minnesota chicken lover
I have a10x 24 coup made out of 3/4 in plywood with a tin roof. It has a 3x4 window and is vented along the 20ft roofline with a foot and a half overhang. It is off the ground about 8 inches. We built the coup to house 20 hens. I painted the floor and insulated the north wall. We use oat straw for bedding. We are have a problem with the coup being very damp. There are no leaks. I don’t know what we can do to keep our girl dry any suggestions would be appreciated.
Are you cleaning it out frequently? Any leaks? Which way is the wind blowing around the vented roofline?

Minnesota chicken lover
Sorry I just re-read that there are no leaks.

Got some pics, inside and out?
What kind of waterer are you using?
Have you measured the humidity inside and out to compare?

Answers to questions about cleaning above could help.
Straw is not very absorptive, sand would be less so.
Wood shavings or pellets would be the most absorptive.

Back
Top Bottom