Dark Brahma not laying

Erwilcox

Chirping
Jun 1, 2023
My dark Brahma is 9 months old and isn’t laying yet. I also have an Isa Brown and EE/Ayam Cemani that are 7 months and are also not laying.
They free range in my backyard, sometimes stay in their large run. They aren’t hiding to lay— I watch them all day every day and only have a couple hiding spots that I’ve been watching for a couple months.
Any input? Is this normal?

My dark Brahma is 9 months old and isn’t laying yet. I also have an Isa Brown and EE/Ayam Cemani that are 7 months and are also not laying.
They free range in my backyard, sometimes stay in their large run. They aren’t hiding to lay— I watch them all day every day and only have a couple hiding spots that I’ve been watching for a couple months.
Any input? Is this normal?
Might be time for exams:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

Then.....even tho you watch them every second of every day:
Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop/run for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

Back
Top Bottom