Day 24 and alive

jessiecombs96

In the Brooder
Feb 17, 2022
I have 2 incubators of chicks going. First incubator pipped on day 20, all chicks except 1 were finished hatching on day 21 (one on early day 22).

Incubator number 2 had nothing happening. I handled on day 21 and chicks were still moving but I threw away the ones that had no signs of life. We're midday on day 24. I cracked one open a teeny tiny amount at the air sac end and it's alive but not internally pipped at all. The other eggs are also alive when candled still. When can I help them? My incubator conditions are prime for hatching per the incubator and separate hygrometer. How long should I wait? My other chicks are moving to a brooder and these haven't even hatched yet but are alive. Eggs came from the same batch of eggs, just not enough space in my smaller incubator for all of them. Thanks!

The thermometers or hygrometers that come with the incubator are not always set properly with factory settings and the instruments don't always read correctly. It's too late to do anything differently with this hatch but I'd suggest before you use that incubator again you calibrate the instruments. The way I do that for temperature is to use a medical thermometer that has been calibrated to check against. I've never calibrated my hygrometer, I mainly use it to show when I need to add more water.

If you are in the US, you might call your county extension office and chat with them. Sometimes they will calibrate your instruments for you. It can be worth asking.

From what you've said it sounds like that second incubator is running too cool. There are several different things that can cause eggs to hatch a couple of days early or late but those eggs are from the same batch. It's probably low incubation temperature.

I have 2 incubators of chicks going. First incubator pipped on day 20, all chicks except 1 were finished hatching on day 21 (one on early day 22).

Incubator number 2 had nothing happening. I handled on day 21 and chicks were still moving but I threw away the ones that had no signs of life. We're midday on day 24. I cracked one open a teeny tiny amount at the air sac end and it's alive but not internally pipped at all. The other eggs are also alive when candled still. When can I help them? My incubator conditions are prime for hatching per the incubator and separate hygrometer. How long should I wait? My other chicks are moving to a brooder and these haven't even hatched yet but are alive. Eggs came from the same batch of eggs, just not enough space in my smaller incubator for all of them. Thanks!

What happened to the chicks from incubator #2?

Back
Top Bottom