Day 26 Runner Duck Eggs

Triki_978

In the Brooder
May 17, 2021
Hello all. I currently have a hen sat on 3 fertile runner duck eggs. They are on day 26 and two of them look good, however, I am concerned about the third. It seem to have a double air sac which is oddly shaped and not enough body. I have photos of candling all three so if anyone knows if it’s ok or not looking good then that would be welcome. Thanks in advance!

Egg 1 (I think it’s ok)

32CCEFD3-F255-46E7-8D9D-01F7F3245B87.jpeg

Egg 2 (I don’t know if the air sac is slightly too big?)

430F8A7C-D492-4875-B46D-CA20D617B0CC.jpeg

Egg 3 (The one which I’m worried about) On the photos you can’t really tell as I haven’t got photos of both angles, but, it seems like there are two air sacs - one on each end of the egg. Surely that isn’t good?
17F40315-AEB2-41E6-AA53-859EE4CCC36E.jpeg
22ED19B0-0193-4F13-9462-B17BF2AA3EC0.jpeg

Last edited:
Hello all. I currently have a hen sat on 3 fertile runner duck eggs. They are on day 26 and two of them look good, however, I am concerned about the third. It seem to have a double air sac which is oddly shaped and not enough body. I have photos of candling all three so if anyone knows if it’s ok or not looking good then that would be welcome. Thanks in advance!

Egg 1 (I think it’s ok)

View attachment 2718499

Egg 2 (I don’t know if the air sac is slightly too big?)

View attachment 2718501

Egg 3 (The one which I’m worried about) On the photos you can’t really tell as I haven’t got photos of both angles, but, it seems like there are two air sacs - one on each end of the egg. Surely that isn’t good?
View attachment 2718502View attachment 2718503
Unfortunately the 3rd one is a bad egg according to this thread from here on BYC I'll attach the link here for you to see yourself

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/candling-possibly-rotten-eggs-two-air-sacs.509466/

Oh, that’s sad. Two left to go I guess! What do you think about the second? Is the air sac too big? Thanks for responding! Oh, and, we’ll be very happy if we get any ducks, as our incubator broke and they temporarily had to stay in the oven, and then they got placed under the broody hen. I know in the oven the humidity levels would be way off, but they were only in there for 20 minutes so hopefully that didn’t cause any problems.

Last edited:
Oh, that’s sad. Two left to go I guess! What do you think about the second? Is the air sac too big? Thanks for responding! Oh, and, we’ll be very happy if we get any ducks, as our incubator broke and they temporarily had to stay in the oven, and then they got placed under the broody hen. I know in the oven the humidity levels would be way off, but they were only in there for 20 minutes so hopefully that didn’t cause any problems.
You have a higher chance of ducklings hatching under a broody hen than in an incubator in my experience since under a broody the seem to have a lower risk of diseases and deformities. The second one seems fine so far.

You have a higher chance of ducklings hatching under a broody hen than in an incubator in my experience since under a broody the seem to have a lower risk of diseases and deformities. The second one seems fine so far.
I’m new to incubating so thanks for that information. And good to hear the second seems fine. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom