day yard fence height??

ChickenOlympia

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 22, 2009
Olympia, WA
OK I need advice on fencing. I have a flock of 10. They have a super secure coop, and an attached run that is 12x12. It has welded wire and poultry wire all around and ontop, including buried out 2 feet from run. I feel very good about it being predator proof.

BUT.....we let them out to forage in the yard during the middle of the day. We abutt a watershed/forest that I know has coyotes, and we have dogs that are occasionally loose in the neighborhood. We are putting up a welded wire fence and I want to know if you think 5ft would deter predators during daylight hours??

Thanks

Last edited:
My chickens, and even my nine week old chicks, get up on top of a six foot chain link fence to hang out - and of course, are on both sides of it.

I have a small variety of chickens and they all stay within the five foot high welded wire chicken yard, it's 50x50. They also have a smaller covered chicken run (6x30 overall).

We only let them into the chicken yard after 2:30pm when someone is home.

BUT I know that sooner or later, one will learn it can fly over.

I'm planning to fence in a pasture area for mine as well with welded wire.... I'm also going to put a strand of electric wire near the bottom and higher up as well. I hope that will keep them pretty safe.

I suppose the breed may make a difference.... I have mostly Buff Orpingtons(Large Breed) in my small flock and I would never expect them to fly over the 6 ft (-6" buried) fence i have for them.

In fact mine are better than half grown and I have never felt the need to clipped their wing. Of course that is an option also... if you want to clip ONE wing you can encourage them to stay inside a lower fence. With one wing clipped they cannot balance well when they try to fly. Although the wing feathers will come back... I think they learn that they can't fly well and keep that mentality after a couple times being clipped.

Mine are beautiful birds and I hate to touch even one of their feathers
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom