Dead 12 week old pullet .... who killed?

That is crazy. I have never seen chickens do that to another chicken. Like mentioned above if they peck one to death they usually leave holes, they don't pluck feathers out. Is there anywhere she could have gotten stuck and panicked and ripped the feathers out trying to squeeze through something

Maybe but no feathers anywhere except what was left on her body. I looked at my girls today and I didn't see any blood... I think maybe she died and they helped them selves to some feathers... I agree with Carol... time for a camera

My guess is she died and the others did this after. The last time I butchered chickens I had half of them penned up with. 4ft fence. The moment the first one’s head came off the others flew out of the 4’ tall pen and started plucking the dead one. They didn’t eat the feathers they just plucked the body savagely.

Today I found one of my 12 week old pullets in the outside chicken run. This is a completely enclosed run with access only through the auto door to the coop. I have 40 nearly year old full grown hens and 21 - 12 week old chicks... The pullet made her way outside through the door and into the run. I found her body completely intact except for feathers missing. NO FEATHERS AROUND HER ANYWHERE..... I am thinking that my older girls pecked her to death and ate the features as they plucked them from her... Does this sound feasible? Has anyone experienced this sort of thing with older chickens and younger ones? I deduced that it appears that my girls did this because anything else would have pulled her apart ... see picture. Any comments would be appreciated.
This is a similar situation that has happened to me, and this could have been a number of things. Most often than not, if the body is fully intact and just laying in the run, it’s a sign they could have gotten trampled. It’s not uncommon for a chick, especially in an enclosed area with so many adult hens, to be accidentally stepped on the wrong way. The chick also could have been bullied to death, but it would make more sense to see clear wounds on the body from the hens.

I haven't seen chickens peck another to death - though I am sure it happens. However, I had an 8-week pullet drop dead close to the enclosure fence and the adult chickens came around and pecked at her dead body. This was caught on a ring camera, and when I went out the poor chick had no head.

It is possible that sudden death occurred and your other hens weren't quite as brutal as mine.

My guess is she died and the others did this after. The last time I butchered chickens I had half of them penned up with. 4ft fence. The moment the first one’s head came off the others flew out of the 4’ tall pen and started plucking the dead one. They didn’t eat the feathers they just plucked the body savagely.
I think you are right. I'm going with that she died and they helped themselves to baby feathers.

Today I found one of my 12 week old pullets in the outside chicken run. This is a completely enclosed run with access only through the auto door to the coop. I have 40 nearly year old full grown hens and 21 - 12 week old chicks... The pullet made her way outside through the door and into the run. I found her body completely intact except for feathers missing. NO FEATHERS AROUND HER ANYWHERE..... I am thinking that my older girls pecked her to death and ate the features as they plucked them from her... Does this sound feasible? Has anyone experienced this sort of thing with older chickens and younger ones? I deduced that it appears that my girls did this because anything else would have pulled her apart ... see picture. Any comments would be appreciated.
I had a hen drop dead of sudden chicken death syndrome. She seemed perfectly healthy, She laid her morning egg and then I found her quite dead with no injuries on her. So sorry you had to go through that.

Looking at your very nice set up and beautiful coop. I do think your run would be better with some clutter in it. Clutter breaks up the line of sight, offers shade, and wind protection. And allows chickens to get out of sight and away from each other.

If you look at your run, you are wasting the vertical space, it is basically just a two dimensional space in which all the chickens can see all of the chickens 100% of the time. Adding some roosts out there, a wind break, and some shady spots would be beneficial to your birds. Pallets up on blocks that chickens can get under or on top of,
old ladders, mini walls out of pieces of plywood or even cardboard can really help.

But I don't think that has anything to do with the death of the bird or the feather plucking.

Mrs K

Looking at your very nice set up and beautiful coop. I do think your run would be better with some clutter in it. Clutter breaks up the line of sight, offers shade, and wind protection. And allows chickens to get out of sight and away from each other.

If you look at your run, you are wasting the vertical space, it is basically just a two dimensional space in which all the chickens can see all of the chickens 100% of the time. Adding some roosts out there, a wind break, and some shady spots would be beneficial to your birds. Pallets up on blocks that chickens can get under or on top of,
old ladders, mini walls out of pieces of plywood or even cardboard can really help.

But I don't think that has anything to do with the death of the bird or the feather plucking.

Mrs K
Good Ideas about the run.. .I'm on it.... I'll post a pic when I get finished furnishing my run!

Back
Top Bottom