Debating on Ducks

I love my Ducks but they are quite messy. They try to swim in their water containers and love to splash it everywhere. I am in Ohio and have heated water bowls for them and 13 containers of water for 14 ducks. I know I don't need that many but they love water and my pen is large but because of all of the rain we have been getting it is quite soupy right now. Not all over but in some places. I love to eat their eggs and have 9 hens and 4 small Call Drakes and 1 bigger Mallard/Rouen Drake. There is nothing cuter than ducklings and I have hatched out many of the years. They don't stay small very long though. They grow by leaps and bounds. They also like to eat up all of the grass in no time at all and dig little holes all over. Mine do not have a pond or swimming area other than in their water containers which they seem fine about. Good luck on your decision.

Thanks for the info, I’m in Ohio too! Nothing but rain/snow in my area here all the time. My coop has been extremely wet and soupy also. How are the breeds you have? Are they friendly?

What do you plan on using them for? Mine are all pets. Personally I think I'd avoid heavy weight breeds like Pekin. They have more foot/leg problems, I think.

If I was to start all over I'd probably stick with runners, and call ducks. They're super cute and can be pretty tame if you get them as babies. The one on my profile was not hand raised, but he has become pretty tame.

What do you plan on using them for? Mine are all pets. Personally I think I'd avoid heavy weight breeds like Pekin. They have more foot/leg problems, I think.

If I was to start all over I'd probably stick with runners, and call ducks. They're super cute and can be pretty tame if you get them as babies. The one on my profile was not hand raised, but he has become pretty tame.
I’d have them as pets and for eggs. I do like the runner ducks a lot. I would probably get them. Would you get them in pairs?

Runners are awesome! The two that I have were unwanted drakes I got off cragslist. You don't need to get them in pairs. I'd get three, ducks always need a duck friend so that way if something happens to one you'll still be ok.
You should get all females if you want to keep them with your chickens. Drakes will attempt to mate with your chickens and hurt them, and possibly kill them.

As for water they need something that they can submerge their eyes/bills in to keep them clean. I'm not sure where to get them, I'd be hesitant to ship birds in the mail, but I don't know any way to guarantee the sex of them any other way.

Thanks for the info, I’m in Ohio too! Nothing but rain/snow in my area here all the time. My coop has been extremely wet and soupy also. How are the breeds you have? Are they friendly?
I have Rouen, Mallard, Khaki Campbell, Muscovy, a Mule Duck and Call Ducks. They all come running to me when I call out to them and feed them and some will eat out of my hand but none of mine like to be held. I have to catch them in a rubber net that I have in order to clip their wings or be able to hold them. I have 14 and all but 8 have been raised by me since 3 days old. Two of them were born here in my living room. I handled them a lot as babies but they still do not like being held. You are most welcome for the information. There may be some breeds that tolerate that more than others. All of them gather at my feet when I am giving them lettuce as that is their favorite treat. I love them and they are a lot of fun. People come just to see them because they don't have any other friends with ducks so they are also a great conversation piece. Plus the eggs are good for you as long as you don't have heart problems or diabetes is what I have read anyways. I got my Mallards from Metzer Farms in California and they arrived as babies just fine. I wanted them pinoned so that they would not fly away but they forgot to do it. I clip their wing occasionally and that works. The Muscovy can fly also and so can my Khaki Campbell and Call Ducks so they all get clipped occasionally. Most will stick around and the majority of the time they are in their covered pen. Only a short amount of time occasionally in another fenced area without netting. We have hawks and raccoons where I am and cats so I keep a close eye out on them. Sorry this is so long. I love talking about my Ducks. lol

Back
Top Bottom