addylanich

In the Brooder
Feb 13, 2023
Southwestern Ohio
I have a chicken with a pretty deep wound. I isolated her and rinsed her wound out with saline. I am spraying her with Banixx too. She keeps trying to pick at it so I am considering putting a child shirt on her to prevent her pecking at it. The wound is towards the end of her wing near her tail feathers though so I'm not sure the shirt would cover it. Does anyone have suggestions for different medicines to put on her wound? Or for a way to maybe bandage the wound so she doesn't peck it? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

How old? Do you have any pictures? I think that Bannix is a mild spray similar to most wound sprays such as Vetericyn and Microsyn. That is good to use. If it is pretty deep, you might want to use some Chlorhexidene or Betadine the first time or two to clean it. Triple antibiotic/neosporin ointment is good to keep it covered and from drying out. The baby shirt can be good if she continues to peck it, but leaving it open to air is best if possible. Use a clean towel under her for bedding, so pine shavings don’t get into the wound. Has she been bullied or is she low in pecking order? Are they overcrowded or getting outside to free range?

I will attach a picture. It was pink when I cleaned it out with saline last night then I put a banixx ointment on it and this is how it looks this morning. I don't think they are overcrowded, just bored. I tried letting them out to free-range but there is a predator issue so they haven't been out very much recently. I am hopefully getting a rooster this weekend so they can be out to free-range and maybe he will stop the bullying too. I will try the Betadine and some Neosporin today. Thank you for your help!
IMG_20230826_104543.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom