Deformed toes and splayed legs

RaesChicks

Chirping
Sep 11, 2023
Southeastern US
my students did an embryology project and successfully hatched 7 out of 12 eggs. The last one hatched is very small, its toes are deformed and its legs keep slipping out from under it. I moved the other chicks out of the incubator because they kept stepping on it then transferred “Benjamin” because it hatched looking like a little old man, in a few hours later when it wasn’t seeming motivated to move. I don’t want to have to cull it but is there any chance it can grow succefully?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 19
He'll walk with a limp, but since I see he is standing, he will probably be able to get around. Make sure he has a rough surface to stand on. I can't tell what you are using. Paper toweling with quilting would be better than newspaper. You might try wood shavings to see if he can manage that.

He looks like he has two broken toes. They kept stepping on him in the incubator right after he hatched he would grab the grating with his feet and they would step right on him. I just tried taping his legs but it was too heavy for him and he flipped over and couldn’t get back up so we removed it

Be prepared to separate him. You may need to make a second group with him and a couple of very docile chicks. Another thought is to give them plenty of room with little barriers so if he gets picked on he can get away, yet still be with the group.

Back
Top Bottom