DELETE

Status
Not open for further replies.

2150MormonRd

Chirping
Nov 9, 2020
This morning at the local garden and feed store a young Guinea hen met me at the car. Actually, she was pecking my door. She's super friendly and chatty. The clerk there tells me she is an escapee from a poultry swap who has taken up residence in the last few weeks. There were three, but the other two are now "disappeared". It's just Myrtle now. I have a backyard flock of 14. Eight are 1.5 yrs old. Six are 23 weeks and just beginning to lay. I'm afraid for Myrtle being all alone especially with winter coming. I've read they actually die when they are alone despite the predator danger.

Is it crazy to consider adopting her? A lone chicken is hard enough to integrate much less a whole different type of poultry. What if she doesn't do well with out another guineas??? Any advice? I really would love to save this sweet girl.

View attachment 2853190

Last edited:
I don't think she would do well without other guineas. As @R2elk has often pointed out in the guinea section, they don't speak the same language chickens. Is it possible you could take her home and have her in a temporary setup until you could re home her?

This morning at the local garden and feed store a young Guinea hen met me at the car. Actually, she was pecking my door. She's super friendly and chatty. The clerk there tells me she is an escapee from a poultry swap who has taken up residence in the last few weeks. There were three, but the other two are now "disappeared". It's just Myrtle now. I have a backyard flock of 14. Eight are 1.5 yrs old. Six are 23 weeks and just beginning to lay. I'm afraid for Myrtle being all alone especially with winter coming. I've read they actually die when they are alone despite the predator danger.

Is it crazy to consider adopting her? A lone chicken is hard enough to integrate much less a whole different type of poultry. What if she doesn't do well with out another guineas??? Any advice? I really would love to save this sweet girl.

View attachment 2853190
Aww, it’s so sweet that you are trying to help her! If her mates have disappeared, then she is in imminent danger as well. If you can catch her, then probably any setup is better for her than getting eaten like her missing flockmates… I’d also be thinking about quarantine, since she came from a swap. I wonder if you could set her up in a cage in your garage while you quarantine her? Maybe advertise a free guinea hen - do you know she’s a hen? Does she “buck-wheat” call? An established guinea flock might be willing to take another girl…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom