Depressee hen

Fmarie1016

In the Brooder
Sep 19, 2019
My lead chicken, Rufio, passed away recently. One of my other hens was very close to her and I believe she is starting to show signs of being depressed. Does anybody know anything I can do to help her or is this kind of a play it by ear situation?

Is she a lone hen?
What signs/symptoms are you seeing?

It would be a good idea to check her over for lice/mites, that her crop is empty in the morning, observe flock behavior to see if she's getting picked on or kept from food.

Chickens do have buddies and I do think they miss a flock mate for a day or two, losing one disrupts routine and pecking order a lot of times too, but if she's acting depressed for several days I would consider that something else is wrong.

Is she a lone hen?
What signs/symptoms are you seeing?

It would be a good idea to check her over for lice/mites, that her crop is empty in the morning, observe flock behavior to see if she's getting picked on or kept from food.

Chickens do have buddies and I do think they miss a flock mate for a day or two, losing one disrupts routine and pecking order a lot of times too, but if she's acting depressed for several days I would consider that something else is wrong.
I still have 8 hens with her, shes typically one of my "bully" hens. Shes been walking around, almost like shes sulking, shes also been super quiet, which is unusual for her. It's been 2 days since it happened and she is other wise healthy, still drinking but wont eat. I checked her for wounds and such. She just seems sad, none of the others seem to be having an issue either.

Back
Top Bottom