Desperately seeking advice!!

Anna Leigh

Chirping
Apr 2, 2015
I will begin day 18 in 2 and a half hours.
My incubator has been set at 37.5 degrees celsuis on average. Never really higher than that but has spiked to 38 for a couple of hours on occasion.
For the first 14 days I had my humidity at 50-55% but after being told by a few people on here that that was too high I lowered it to 30-35%
I have been marking my eggs. The 6 Columbian Pekin eggs seem to have small air cells but the 7 Frizzle x Silkie eggs have good sized air cells. I have been rotating them in the incubator for the last 3 days in case of hot/cold spots.
This morning (day 17 and a half) I candled to check if the air cells had grown. I noticed the air cell on one Frizzle x Silkie egg had changed shape and it looks like it may have internally pipped. I googled some images of internal pips and it appears to look more or less the same. Is it normal for this to happen so early and to just one egg out of 13?
Should I increase my humidity for this one egg or leave it low for the rest? I'm very confused and not sure what the best thing to do. This is my first time incubating and so I'm scared of screwing up and killing them.
Please help!

Last edited:
Try not to worry :hugs Everything sounds good. I would put your humidty up to at least 65% now, 2.5 hours will make no difference. Stop turning and remove your turner if you have one. Smaller eggs can hatch a little earlier, I do mainly polish and have had them externally pip and hatch on day 19, when the chicks is ready it's ready. From internal to external pip can be up to 24 hours. Once the chick has used up the air in the air sac and the co2 has risen this causes the chick to externally pip so it can get more oxygen. It may only be a slight crack in the shell but that's enough for them. From external pip to zip and hatch could be another 24 hours.

Good luck with your eggs :thumbsup

Thank you so much!
I'm like a child needing reassurance! Although, incubating/hatching does that to you I think!
I was worried about increasing the humidity because the 6 Columbian Pekin eggs don't have very big air cells, But I guess if they're meant to make it then they will. I will increase humidity and hopefully I end up with some healthy fur balls in the next few days. :)

I hear peeping!! It responds to my voice too. Another 4 have internally pipped (we're now at day 18.5). I can hear scraping from a couple too. How long should I expect before external pip?

External pip could come at any time. Keep the incubator CLOSED!
old.gif
That is why they call it lockdown. Opening the incubator during the hatching process can cause the chicks to get shrinkwrapped. Have patience and leave it closed until the chicks have hatched and dried.

Is it okay to increase humidity to 75-80% while I'm at work so it doesn't drop too low by the time I get back?
I'm not opening the lid anymore, I've been using a straw to add water to the channels. It's surprising how loud they make noises from inside the egg. I can hear them when I'm in the same room. :)

The first chick hatched 30 minutes ago. It took him/her 20 minutes to unzip :)
Another 5 have pipped.
Thank you very much for your advice! :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom