Diamataceous Earth in coop.

Luv4pets

Hatching
Jul 3, 2021
We've lost a few Turkey Poults recently. Can someone tell me if spreading too much Diamataceous Earth in their nesting box can kill them? Had an infestation of mites. Few hens were laying on eggs, also had a few 2wk old Turkey Poults in with them. Was putting the Diatomaceous Earth in the nesting boxes frequently. I'm thinking that they passed a way due to having the nesting boxes and surrounding area dusted too often.

:welcome sorry for the problem. Conceivably breathing in the DE may have been the cause of the deaths. What were the symptoms?

Here is a video of my turkeys taking a dust bath. This was taken 4 months ago. They are dusting in DE. They didn't die and that is alot of dust as you can see.

It could definitely contribute to respiratory issues I'm sure. Their nostrils are so small at first and DE is so fine and textured differently than dirt or sand birds bathe in normally. When we used to use it in our chicken coops I'd notice our hens sneezing more than they would around normal loose dirt. I have nothing against using it but would definitely keep application on the lighter side when they're young.

DE takes time to kill mites, so the mites could have still been there and hurt the poults
If it kills them at all.
If your birds and/or coop has poultry pests,
don't screw around with DE,
get some permethrin dust and/or spray and treat once every 7 days until no live bugs are seen.......then keep checking.

Back
Top Bottom