Did anyone else get a hatchery choice order?

speckled6

Chirping
Apr 15, 2017
Southwest WI
We ordered the all pullet rainbow assortment from Meyer and for the life of me I can't figure out what they sent us!

Most of our chicks were light colored, some with a little more reddish or brown chipmunk-y stripes on their backs, but I don't recognize any of the breeds now that they're starting to feather out.

It's kinda fun guessing what they might be. The other chicks we picked up we know what breed they are, so have an idea of what they will look like full grown, but the hatchery chicks we have no clue and their sight is no help with so many chicks that look like ours and no adult birds with feathers like ours are growing. Makes me wonder if they might be mutts!

I have a couple that were just yellow when they were chicks, but now are feathering out with burnished red feathers on their breasts and wings, 2 are white so I'm guessing leghorns and there are 2 that were plain light colored chicks and their feathers are growing in tan with white dots on the ends. They're so pretty. The rest of them (we had 15 in the order) are all over the place with colors from light to dark brown...but not distinguishing characteristics (no green or black legs, no lines by their eyes, at 3 weeks there's very minimal comb development)

So I was curious if anyone else is struggling to figure out what breeds they have, or have you done that in the past...what did you end up with?

Whatever they turn out to be, they have been so much fun and I'm looking forward to when we can move them to the coop and watch them continue to grow and develop their chicken-ness :)

You will have so much fun with this. Call Meyers and ask them what they think they may have sent and describe the baby chicks.

I did that last year from Ideal. Took a couple of months and some backtracking but I got them all figured out. Had a lot of fun guessing.

Yes on the different breeds. The 2 that are my favorites are a mystery breed!
It's keeping me guessing and makes it so fun to go check on them because, I swear, they're more feathered out and bigger Everytime I look in on them (several times a day/hour!)

Back
Top Bottom