Diet Suggestions for Mixed Flocks

i've read numerous studies regarding high protein and angel wing in ducks. not one of them involved a feed less than 24% protein, usyally closer to 30% like a gamebird feed. Even then, its of greatest concern to hatchlings as they grow. The flock raiser is fine, needs no adjustment. Anecdotally, i've raised numerous ducks on 24% for the first few weeks, then dropped to 20% for the rest of their lives w/o incident.

Here's a calculator to figure protein content if you mix in oats or other grains. There's even a list of grains at the bottom: https://www.metzerfarms.com/FeedConversion.cfm?affiliate=undef&CustID=29088871

Pekins are meant for meat production, and they do grow fast and huge. You should try to limit the fast weight gain, whether that's with lower protein, more veggies, exercise, etc. because they can get so big that they have awful joint and mobility issues later in life if they're not raised for meat. Mine love a bag of frozen peas with water in a water pan during the summer, frankencucumbers that were pollinated by the pumpkins, and of course, pumpkins. My ducklings are insane for watermelon, the adults, not so much.

Since they're all over a year old, and the babies are almost 6 months old, you should be able to cut back to about 16% protein without any problems. Your layers need about 17-18% protein while laying and free choice calcium. You could accomplish this by providing insect or dried fish treats (some bugs have more fat than others, so watch for that). They need about 20% protein during molt.

I start my ducks on Purina Duck food + 30% game bird starter to get the protein up to 22% and cut out the game bird after 4-6 weeks, I start chicks on Nutrena non-medicated, then move everyone to Nutrena Naturewise All-flock at around 18 weeks. Instead of scratch during the summer (it makes them hotter), I give them wheat feed (the feedstore calls it wheat berries, it's like $8 for a 50lb. bag). I'm trying a bag of the TSC brand (DuMor? Producer's Pride?) All-flock as it's a bit less expensive and still has good numbers and probiotics. They don't seem to gobble it up like the other feeds, but I moved everyone to a much larger yard about the time I started that bag, so it's probably because of all the grasshoppers and weeds they get to eat now.
Thank you for all of this! I have had Pekins for several years now, but this is my first time having one (her name is Harley) who has gained so much weight so quickly. I have been cutting back their food a little bit, and they have been foraging more for bugs and such, so that is certainly good. I have thought about adding in some more "human foods," too. According to the calculator, 17% protein diet would be half Flock Raiser and half oats. Are oats not a good idea then? I thought about getting some quick oats from the store for them to try. What other table scraps would you recommend?

Last edited:
i've read numerous studies regarding high protein and angel wing in ducks. not one of them involved a feed less than 24% protein, usyally closer to 30% like a gamebird feed. Even then, its of greatest concern to hatchlings as they grow. The flock raiser is fine, needs no adjustment. Anecdotally, i've raised numerous ducks on 24% for the first few weeks, then dropped to 20% for the rest of their lives w/o incident.
thank you! There's one in particular that I am concerned about, so maybe I'll have to watch and make sure she's not hogging food or make her move more lol.

Back
Top Bottom