difference between mash, pellets, and scratch?

imama2many

In the Brooder
Oct 14, 2015
No. Utah
I'm new to chickens... I have 2 barred rocks and 2 Dom's that are 30 weeks, only one is laying so far??? And only started last week (I've had 5 eggs total)... I get their feed from a local farm supply store. When they were chicks, they were on a mash (that the guy at the feed store told us to get)... Once we bought what I think of as "scratch" (had corn and other seeds in it). We then were told to move them into a pellet (to get ready for laying?) Then when I went to buy another bag, I bought the wrong stuff and bought mash again. I only used about 1/2 that bag and went back and bought pellets again. (That is what they are being fed now).

So, my question is what is the real difference? It seems the mash is ground up pellets and would be easier for chicks? I know this might sound silly, but I liked the way the scratch "looked" hahah... it just looked (in my mind) like what I imagined chickens ate! ;) The pellets look like what I have fed rabbits in the past (we don't have the rabbits anymore). Should they be eating the pellets exclusively?

TIA for all advice

Mash is for chicks and is what growing chicks need to stay healthy, a complete diet for them. Scratch is seeds and stuff for older chicks and chickens and you can throw it in the grass and leaves for them to scratch for, hence the name scratch. Pellets are for laying hens and contains the things a hen needs to produce an egg.

Mash is for chicks and is what growing chicks need to stay healthy, a complete diet for them. Scratch is seeds and stuff for older chicks and chickens and you can throw it in the grass and leaves for them to scratch for, hence the name scratch. Pellets are for laying hens and contains the things a hen needs to produce an egg.

I've read some people offer scratch in the evenings on exceptionally cold evenings/nights to help "hold the hens over"... does scratch some how "warm up" the hens?

Back
Top Bottom