Difference in size with TSC chicks

Jtaranc

Chirping
Sep 26, 2022
So I purchased 4 TSC chicks 4 months ago. 2 leghorn and 2 "Americana"

I then hatched some eggs from my own flock, these babies are 2 and 3 weeks younger than the TSC babies. They are mixes with barred rock/sex link and orpington/sex link.

I feel like my TSC babies are a lot smaller and have stopped growing. What gives? Everyone eats the same thing, they are always together so the sizing is obvious.

Here's some pics....the ones with the arrow are the TSC chicks. Some of the ones I hatched I realize are cockerels, but even my pullets (the white mixes) and larger than the other pullets.

Attachments

• 20230717_195612.jpg
    20230717_195612.jpg
    922.4 KB · Views: 65
  • 20230717_195414.jpg
    20230717_195414.jpg
    1,015.7 KB · Views: 29
I’d venture to say it has more to do with breed. My LH are “smaller” compared to my BR. My EEs are still young but I imagine will be smaller than my BR when full grown.
Thank you! I'm guessing it's the same for RIR also? My RIR babies are also larger. Least I know I'm not doing anything wrong.

So I purchased 4 TSC chicks 4 months ago. 2 leghorn and 2 "Americana"

I then hatched some eggs from my own flock, these babies are 2 and 3 weeks younger than the TSC babies. They are mixes with barred rock/sex link and orpington/sex link.

I feel like my TSC babies are a lot smaller and have stopped growing. What gives? Everyone eats the same thing, they are always together so the sizing is obvious.

Here's some pics....the ones with the arrow are the TSC chicks. Some of the ones I hatched I realize are cockerels, but even my pullets (the white mixes) and larger than the other pullets.
Your yard chickens are larger breeds than your TSC chicks. Also, Orpingtons get big faster.

It's just breed selection. Nobody is sick.

My first 2 flocks of chickens i had were from a local farm store that got the birds from cackle hatchery. I never realized that mine were so small until i hatched some from a different flock that breeds to APA and SOP standards. My Buff orpigton is almost 3 years old and my lavendar who i hatched is will be 20 weeks mid February and my lavendar is already bigger than my buff.
I have noticed a difference.
But in order to see full comparison you need the same breed. I know leghorns are smaller.

Back
Top Bottom