Different aged chicks in one brooder

Justicedog

Crowing
11 Years
May 2, 2012
Maryland
The feed store that I get chicks at gets them once a week. The breeds I want arrive on different weeks. How spread out can their ages be? I'm thinking getting 2-3 one week, which may include a chick from the week before, then getting 2-3 more the next week, so there could be a 3 week span. There could even be a late shipment making it more apart.

As chicks, we had a two-day-old silkie in with three large three-week-old speckled sussex. They did trample the little bugger a few times but got along great and it learned to stay out of the way!

Three weeks should work especially if they're not alone like ours was.

As chicks, we had a two-day-old silkie in with three large three-week-old speckled sussex. They did trample the little bugger a few times but got along great and it learned to stay out of the way!

Thanks, that was my thought. I could have gotten all but 1 on the first day in the first week, but figured it'd be better to not introduce her on her own. If there was one from the week before, it would already have been in with the group.

I forgot I had a couple pictures of it. This was day 1, then a week or two later. In the second one, the silky is way over on the right.

Attachments

• silkie and ss.jpg
    silkie and ss.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 11
  • SS at 4 weeks.jpg
    SS at 4 weeks.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 11

Back
Top Bottom