Different aged chicks

DanieM

Chirping
May 2, 2022
Hi all, i have a seven week old that grew up alone til now, it's been out during the days for couple of weeks now. Temps are 80+, i shade and sprinkle.
Now i got some eggs which had two older ones, which hatched day before yesterday. When can they go outside?
They cuddle under the seven week old at night without extra heat

Where is 'out'?
Can you please post pictures of your setup?
Will the chicks need to navigate a ramp?
A lot depends on the answers to these questions.
The 7 week old is obviously not aggressive to the chicks but keeping them warm during the day when they aren't roosting together is another matter. The 2 day olds may need more heat during the day so they might need access to a brooder plate.
The 7 week old seems to have night time heat needs covered.
Do post some pictures of this please.

Now i got some eggs which had two older ones, which hatched day before yesterday. When can they go outside?
They cuddle under the seven week old at night without extra heat

What temperature are they living at now? If outside is just as warm, they can go out now.

Chicks can generally go outside whenever they can deal with the temperature. So they can go out earlier in midsummer than in early spring. And chicks can go out earlier with a heat source (heat lamp, brooder plate, broody hen, older chick in your case) than if they don't have a heat source.

Of course they need to live in a place that is safe from bad weather (rain, too much sun, too much wind) and from predators, but since you've already had the 7 week old outside you probably have that part figured out.

Where is 'out'?
Can you please post pictures of your setup?
Will the chicks need to navigate a ramp?
A lot depends on the answers to these questions.
The 7 week old is obviously not aggressive to the chicks but keeping them warm during the day when they aren't roosting together is another matter. The 2 day olds may need more heat during the day so they might need access to a brooder plate.
The 7 week old seems to have night time heat needs covered.
Do post some pictures of this please.
"Out" is outside in a small run with food, water, sun and shade.
The seven week old is in this run.

Babies are in a brooder still all the time, with food and water.
It's just so nice and warm out, i thought they might be able to go out soon
What temperature are they living at now? If outside is just as warm, they can go out now.

Chicks can generally go outside whenever they can deal with the temperature. So they can go out earlier in midsummer than in early spring. And chicks can go out earlier with a heat source (heat lamp, brooder plate, broody hen, older chick in your case) than if they don't have a heat source.

Of course they need to live in a place that is safe from bad weather (rain, too much sun, too much wind) and from predators, but since you've already had the 7 week old outside you probably have that part figured out.
Thank you, that's what I thought😊

Back
Top Bottom