Difficult decisions made ☹️

You would be amazed what kind of decisions you can make when you take the emotion out of it.

When it comes to the comfort of several over the attachment of a few, the majority usually wins.

In my first year back having chickens, I have had chickens butchered to eat, I have done a necropsy on a chicken, I have paid for a necropsy on a chicken, I have rehomed chickens I was attached to, I have shoved pills down throats of chickens that were seemingly too large for them to swallow, I have had a chicken die in my arms, I have constant neck pain from bending over and examining every chicken poop that pops up, I have pulled dry poop off chicks butts with my bare fingers, and the list goes on. I have lost three Pullets I raised from eggs - one of them is stuffed inside my husband’s taxidermy shop. Who has heard of such a thing? I was not anticipating half of those things to happen, but they did. I love my chickens, some more than others, but when you are faced with things that are unpleasant, it does teach you what works and what doesn’t.

Keep researching and reaching out for knowledge, although sometimes it can be unpleasant, it’s still worth it for me ❤️
I think I am just beginning to understand that, since I am new to raising chickens.

I can see this being a part of my future. I got a straight run starlight green egger and it looks like out of the five purchased I have probably 3 cockerels maybe more. I personally cannot do the deed but am looking into alternatives. I will try rehoming and am looking into Amish auction. This is my first flock of chicks (6 going on 7 weeks). I also have four pullets (2 SLW and 2 BO) that are 2 weeks old. I may end up with five or six hens. I only want a small flock. I got the other 4 to make sure any pullets from my first run will have company. I give you much respect for doing what needs to be done. thanks to everyone willing to give time and patients to those of us who need help. You are much appreciated!!

I can see this being a part of my future. I got a straight run starlight green egger and it looks like out of the five purchased I have probably 3 cockerels maybe more. I personally cannot do the deed but am looking into alternatives. I will try rehoming and am looking into Amish auction. This is my first flock of chicks (6 going on 7 weeks). I also have four pullets (2 SLW and 2 BO) that are 2 weeks old. I may end up with five or six hens. I only want a small flock. I got the other 4 to make sure any pullets from my first run will have company. I give you much respect for doing what needs to be done. thanks to everyone willing to give time and patients to those of us who need help. You are much appreciated!!
Go ahead and start a thread if you haven't already so we can look at your chicks. I accidentally ended up with a SGE cockerel this season as well, my first, and he was not even the breed he was supposed to be, let alone a pullet. It sounds like you will have a lovely little flock, regardless. ❤️

Go ahead and start a thread if you haven't already so we can look at your chicks. I accidentally ended up with a SGE cockerel this season as well, my first, and he was not even the breed he was supposed to be, let alone a pullet. It sounds like you will have a lovely little flock, regardless. ❤️
I did as you said and posted under what gender is this. Thank you for the advice! Hopefully, will get some responses. :)

Back
Top Bottom