Difficulty walking

Jan 30, 2023
Carlsbad California
My 9 month old Barred Rock has been walking like she has bad hips or bad knees. She no longer walks up the ramp to roost but rather sleeps in the nesting box or on the floor near the ramp. She walks really fast when I let her out of the run or when she sees treats but her gait looks labored. She is eating, drinking, pooping normally and is active with the flock. I thought it might be an injury but it has been over 2 months now that she is walking with an awkward gait. I do not think she can jump or fly either. Any ideas on what she could be experiencing? Her feet and legs appear normal.

Are her legs properly aligned with her body? Sometimes they can injure a leg/pop it out of joint and keep on walking. Did it start gradually or did it seem to happen overnight?
Also, is she a proper weight for her breed? Obesity can also cause issues.

My 9 month old Barred Rock has been walking like she has bad hips or bad knees. She no longer walks up the ramp to roost but rather sleeps in the nesting box or on the floor near the ramp. She walks really fast when I let her out of the run or when she sees treats but her gait looks labored. She is eating, drinking, pooping normally and is active with the flock. I thought it might be an injury but it has been over 2 months now that she is walking with an awkward gait. I do not think she can jump or fly either. Any ideas on what she could be experiencing? Her feet and legs appear normal.
Can you get a video of her movements?

Upload video to YouTube and provide a link.

What do you feed, including treats?
Does she lay eggs?

Are her legs properly aligned with her body? Sometimes they can injure a leg/pop it out of joint and keep on walking. Did it start gradually or did it seem to happen overnight?
Also, is she a proper weight for her breed? Obesity can also cause issues.
It happened gradually. It is worse when she initially stands up - almost like she got "stiff" sitting down. The more she walks, the easier it seems to be. I want to exam her but I also don't want to hurt her further or add additional stress. Other hens are not picking on her. She is high in pecking order. Doesn't seem to be heavy for her breed. I am just going to monitor and make life easy for her for now.

Back
Top Bottom