Digital thermostat regulation

lazy gardener

Crossing the Road
7 Years
Nov 7, 2012
CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
I have a coolerbator that I made last year. I used it for a hatch, but was not happy with the temp regulation throughout the box, resulting in some health issues with several of the chicks.

The interior of the box is 11" x 21" at the floor. It's heated with 2 x 40W bulbs at the back wall that are mounted 8" apart and 8.5" off the floor. The thermostat is a ITC-1000F. The fan is mounted at the same height as the bulbs, on one end wall, so it draws air in and blows the air across the bulbs. i put a baffle under the fan to help direct the cool air up across the bulbs, and that seemed to help a bit.

The issue I'm having is this: even with the fan, there is quite a discrepancy in the temp of the box. Of course it's warmer towards the back wall and under the bulbs. It's also warmer at the left end of the box (opposite of the fan) and it's coolest at the right front end of the box. Ventilation holes are drilled at fan intake, left upper and left lower end, and right upper. I cover them as needed with packing tape to help regulate air flow also.

___________0_____________0___________
l l l
l baffle l l (fan)
l l l
l l
l l
l l
l l
l cool spot l

I've played around with placement of the thermostat sensor. I hate to reconfigure placement of the light bulbs or fan, but if that's needed, I will have to do it tomorrow, as I want to set eggs tomorrow. I'd really like to have this bator problem solved. The thermostat holds temp well, but there is too much variation between warm and cool spots. My first home made styrobator with a bimetal thermostat actually does much better with temp regulation throughout the box, but it doesn't hold as many eggs.

Last edited:
I've been fudging with it all day, and think I've got it figured out! It was simply a matter of dropping the sensor down 1/2"! I'll have to play with it again when I put the rack in. found a nice sliding adjustable length rack that will allow me to put the water reservoirs under the eggs. So, that will raise everything up an other inch. Oh... I also put in some temporary tin foil heat shields to direct heat away from the area closest to the eggs. Bought some disposable aluminum cake pans to cut up to make more permanent heat shields.

Back
Top Bottom