Disease or injury?

FrankiesDucks

In the Brooder
Jul 15, 2021
Hi everyone. One of my girls looks terrible. Not sure if she is sick, being bullied or if rats are ripping her feathers out. I washed her today as her bum looked so bad. She actually just sat there and let me do it. I found a bald patch and other prime tail feathers missing. I had to soak her for a while to work the hard poop out. She is very attached to her sister so I don't know if separating her is the best. We have also had a rat problem thanks to someone giving us pots that weren't so empty... She isn't skinny but she does seem low energy as she was easy to catch. Any advice would be appreciated. I included a pic of her sister for comparison.

Attachments

• 20230102_083028.jpg
    20230102_083028.jpg
    825.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230102_084548.jpg
    20230102_084548.jpg
    574.5 KB · Views: 5
Hi! It looks like feather picking, how many hens do you have? How much space? Where do they roost? What kind of feed are you feeding them?

HI thanks for the reply. I have 6 chickens and 2 rooster brothers. I have 5 acres but they roam around 2 acres. They have a big run for night roosting and have assorted laying boxes/areas. I'm hoping the rats didn't come in at night and rip feathers for their nests (all gone now after eviction). Seems unlikely as the other hens aren't affected. Could she be plucking herself?

Hi everyone. One of my girls looks terrible. Not sure if she is sick, being bullied or if rats are ripping her feathers out. I washed her today as her bum looked so bad. She actually just sat there and let me do it. I found a bald patch and other prime tail feathers missing. I had to soak her for a while to work the hard poop out. She is very attached to her sister so I don't know if separating her is the best. We have also had a rat problem thanks to someone giving us pots that weren't so empty... She isn't skinny but she does seem low energy as she was easy to catch.
HI thanks for the reply. I have 6 chickens and 2 rooster brothers. I have 5 acres but they roam around 2 acres. They have a big run for night roosting and have assorted laying boxes/areas. I'm hoping the rats didn't come in at night and rip feathers for their nests (all gone now after eviction). Seems unlikely as the other hens aren't affected. Could she be plucking herself?
You have 2 roosters.
I see a lot of broken feathers on the hen. Is she the favorite of the boys?

Do check her over for lice/mites. You mention that her bum looked bad - just dried on poop or ?

It may be time to separate out a rooster. Often when a hen is overmated, she can start to decline. Sometimes they don't eat well too.

Separate 1 or both roosters from the hens and give the girls a break. This will give you time to determine if both are needed.

You have 2 roosters.

I see a lot of broken feathers on the hen. Is she the favorite of the boys?

Do check her over for lice/mites. You mention that her bum looked bad - just dried on poop or ?

It may be time to separate out a rooster. Often when a hen is overmated, she can start to decline. Sometimes they don't eat well too.

Separate 1 or both roosters from the hens and give the girls a break. This will give you time to determine if both are needed.

The second rooster is a silkie and has never mated with the girls (he can't figure it out and usually just mates with leaves & ducks feathers). He sleeps on a perch outside of the nesting boxes. It could be our main rooster. He is an arucana. I have considered rats (just got them out from under the coop) and we do have mites as we have clay soil and its a wet, humid summer here. I wash the girls with neem oil and garlic in warm water. That chicken had a very poopy bum but she seems better after that initial wash from the picture.

The second rooster is a silkie and has never mated with the girls (he can't figure it out and usually just mates with leaves & ducks feathers). He sleeps on a perch outside of the nesting boxes. It could be our main rooster. He is an arucana. I have considered rats (just got them out from under the coop) and we do have mites as we have clay soil and its a wet, humid summer here. I wash the girls with neem oil and garlic in warm water. That chicken had a very poopy bum but she seems better after that initial wash from the picture.
If you have mites, then you'll want to treat with a Permethrin based poultry spray or dust.
Treat housing as well. Repeat in 5-7 days intervals.
Mites can be deadly to chickens if the overload is too great.

Back
Top Bottom