Disinfecting Chicken Run

Rosieposie6

Chirping
Dec 3, 2023
Howdy just seeing what others use to disinfect chicken run/coop?
I bought a rooster two weeks ago and unfortunately am giving him back to the previous owner today, he has dry fowl pox. We originally thought it was fungus when we got him but now lesions are turning black, we just can’t risk getting my hens sick. What’s a good product to clean the run with? Thats where we kept him the past week. The only thing I read that can kill fowl pox is bleach, I know it’s a strong scent and product I’m personally not a fan of bleach but don’t know what else can kill it.

Fowl Pox is pretty common and spread mainly spread by mosquitoes.
It can be contagious, but once the virus runs its course, birds are resistant to the strain they are exposed to.

Cleaning for Fowl Pox is something I've never done, I've only had Dry Form of Fowl Pox and it was relatively mild, lasting just a few weeks, so I was not that concerned. It can turn into Wet Form which is more serious though, so I do monitor any birds that develop lesions on combs and wattles.

You may want to read this, it may be helpful.
https://the-chicken-chick.com/fowl-pox-prevention-treatmen/

Fowl Pox is pretty common and spread mainly spread by mosquitoes.
It can be contagious, but once the virus runs its course, birds are resistant to the strain they are exposed to.

Cleaning for Fowl Pox is something I've never done, I've only had Dry Form of Fowl Pox and it was relatively mild, lasting just a few weeks, so I was not that concerned. It can turn into Wet Form which is more serious though, so I do monitor any birds that develop lesions on combs and wattles.

You may want to read this, it may be helpful.
https://the-chicken-chick.com/fowl-pox-prevention-treatmen/
Yea I read that article a few weeks back! I’m bringing young pullets into the flock soon so I don’t want them contracting anything. I’m thinking about getting them vaccinated so if they are exposed they’ll be ok. Did you do anything to treat the fowl pox? It seems there’s no cure for it just have to let it run its course.

Yea I read that article a few weeks back! I’m bringing young pullets into the flock soon so I don’t want them contracting anything. I’m thinking about getting them vaccinated so if they are exposed they’ll be ok. Did you do anything to treat the fowl pox? It seems there’s no cure for it just have to let it run its course.
No, I don't personally do anything to treat Dry Form of Fowl Pox, it runs its course in a few weeks. I do monitor the bird(s) to see if they are doing well (eating/drinking/active).

Some folks that live where Fowl Pox is very bad do vaccinate, but the vaccine may not cover all strains, you'd have to read up on the information for the vaccine you choose and administer it yourself.

Back
Top Bottom