DIY Coop Automation 101

jthornton

Free Ranging
6 Years
Aug 30, 2017
Poplar Bluff, MO
My Coop
My Coop
I thought about an article but they don't have any navigation like the forums so here goes.

I've built and tested an automagic coop door and will be adding more as I go like lights and heat and temperature. So lets get started with the bare basics of coop automation.

You will need some kind of processor to handle the logic. My first door used an Arduino Nano chinlee knock off for a couple of bucks. The processor is coded using a USB cable and the Arduino software which is free. The processor responds to inputs (things like a switch or push button) and turns on and off outputs to control things like a relay (a relay is a heavy duty switch as the processor can not switch much current). The processor can control things like lights, head, the door and fans etc. Just what ever you can dream up.

Next on the list is a relay board to turn the motor on and off as well as to reverse the motor. I used this Double Pole Double Throw (DPDT) relay. You need a DPDT relay to swap the + and - for reverse. Don't worry about the jargon I'll clear it up as I go.

Next we need a motor to open and close the door. Some options are geared DC motor and DC linear actuator. I decided to go with this 6 RPM (Revolutions Per Minute) Motor.

Next we need some way to know when the door is open and when it is closed. I used these magnet switches to sense when the door is open and when it is closed.

Next we need something to trigger the open/close time. To start I used a simple outdoor timer from a local box store. A timer has some draw backs as the season changes you have to keep changing the door open/close time to coordinate with the sunrise and sunset.

Over the next few days I'll explain the details how to do this. This is a perfectly usable solution for automagic coop door.

What I'm working on now is a much improved version of coop automation. I'm using a NodeMCU ESP8266 WIFI board to get the time from the internet time server once a day and update the internal clock. I also use a sunrise/sunset library to update the times of sunrise/sunset each night at midnight. The ESP8266 also serves up a web page that I can view on my LAN with door status, temperature of the coop as well as other information. My friend in England uses his cell phone to do things in his coop with the ESP8266.

JT

Sounds fun, I am automating the easy way, with my Amex card... I have a auto door that closes using a light meter and a smart wifi enabled switch for lights and water heater. I have strong wi-fi in the coop area I will be adding cameras so I can peek in on everything from my phone:)

Gary

Lol Amex card - okay
Cool idea

We did that with an owl house we had to watch the owls

Ever have any issues with the door?

Lol Amex card - okay
Cool idea

We did that with an owl house we had to watch the owls

Ever have any issues with the door?

I have a chickenguard extreme and I love it. I only use it to shut the door after dark, I prefer to open it, or not open it myself. I do not want the chickens getting used to a schedule and bawking for me to let them out. So far so good.

Gary

Nice start - will follow you as you build and problem solve

What type of power source are you thinking of using?
I have 120v in the coop (extension cord) and I used a 12v wall wort for power. A 12v battery and solar charger could be used. The door was in use for 3 months so it is well tested.

JT

Back
Top Bottom