DIYing Chickens Diet

Mautown

In the Brooder
Jun 8, 2023
I have seen some threads on here referring to it not being worth trying to DIY a chicken feed recipe, mostly due to cost but also due to the difficulty trying to get a well balanced diet.

Is this something that could be negated with logistical planning?

If I planned on starting insect colonies that were highly prolific breeders, grew microgreens and supplemented with things like oats or foraging for wild edibles, would it be possible to achieve a lower cost to feeding them?

My concern with the microgreens is that it seems we will tear through seeds and it won't produce an enormous amount of food, but there are microgreens that can be repeatedly harvested by my understanding and at the quick rate of their growth to harvesting them it seems like we could produce a decent amount with minimal effort.

I'm unsure of how productive we could be with foraging for them. I know there is a ton that they can eat but I'm not experienced enough to know of all the adverse effects that could come from feeding them too much of 1 thing.

I appreciate the help as I truly am a novice with this. Just looking to learn the craft and treat my chickens right.

I have seen some threads on here referring to it not being worth trying to DIY a chicken feed recipe, mostly due to cost but also due to the difficulty trying to get a well balanced diet.

Is this something that could be negated with logistical planning?

If I planned on starting insect colonies that were highly prolific breeders, grew microgreens and supplemented with things like oats or foraging for wild edibles, would it be possible to achieve a lower cost to feeding them?

My concern with the microgreens is that it seems we will tear through seeds and it won't produce an enormous amount of food, but there are microgreens that can be repeatedly harvested by my understanding and at the quick rate of their growth to harvesting them it seems like we could produce a decent amount with minimal effort.

I'm unsure of how productive we could be with foraging for them. I know there is a ton that they can eat but I'm not experienced enough to know of all the adverse effects that could come from feeding them too much of 1 thing.

I appreciate the help as I truly am a novice with this. Just looking to learn the craft and treat my chickens right.
I can't help much with the other things on this list, but the insects, I can. Mealworns contain a lot of fat, so they should be fed in moderation.
Having your own colony of worms is better in the long run. I have a few. They take a couple months to get going really good but once they are going there will be a bunch.
If you want more on raising mealworms let me know.

I can't help much with the other things on this list, but the insects, I can. Mealworns contain a lot of fat, so they should be fed in moderation.
Having your own colony of worms is better in the long run. I have a few. They take a couple months to get going really good but once they are going there will be a bunch.
If you want more on raising mealworms let me know.
Good to know, thank you!

I should have been more specific, the colonies I'm working on are dubia roaches and crickets. I'm also trying to get a worm bucket going but that is giving some issues.

Do you use European nightcrawlers or red wigglers?

Micro greens seem inefficient and low in protien when compared to particular fodder plants with good nutritional profiles. Things like alfalfa, moringa, dired cassava leaf, tagasaste, desmanthus etc.....

They are more productive and or perennial. Or just less labour intensive and or cheaper long term. Probably much more nutritious also. Moringa in particular is high in calcium and various amino acids. It has been studied quite a bit as a chicken fodder.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6680523/

Nature doesnt make pellets. But nature doesnt make birds lay an egg a day either.

Micro greens seem inefficient and low in protien when compared to particular fodder plants with good nutritional profiles. Things like alfalfa, moringa, dired cassava leaf, tagasaste, desmanthus etc.....

They are more productive and or perennial. Or just less labour intensive and or cheaper long term. Probably much more nutritious also. Moringa in particular is high in calcium and various amino acids. It has been studied quite a bit as a chicken fodder.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6680523/

Nature doesnt make pellets. But nature doesnt make birds lay an egg a day either.
Thanks for your input. I appreciate the good perspective with your final point.

Back
Top Bottom