Do chickens eat pigeons

I haven't seen any other animals in my yard this year could have came at night I guess. But I found dead pigeon in my chickens coop and wondered if they would kill it eating just the head..? Didn't notice until this morning.
No, chickens don’t eat pigeons.
If the head is gone off your pigeon, that’s gonna mean that a raccoon got into your coop.

O
No, chickens don’t eat pigeons.
If the head is gone off your pigeon, that’s gonna mean that a raccoon got into your coop.
Man well I haven't seen any animals. I think there were a couple times we saw once in the coop a couple years back and once in the shed about the same opossum . Just recently I saw a large rat in the shed.. but mostly we only see moles and mice..and more often moles than mice but im sure they are there in the dark.. we only have lights close to our house and none but the a few solar lights at the pond and chicken coops and rabbit hutches.

O

Man well I haven't seen any animals. I think there were a couple times we saw once in the coop a couple years back and once in the shed about the same opossum . Just recently I saw a large rat in the shed.. but mostly we only see moles and mice..and more often moles than mice but im sure they are there in the dark.. we only have lights close to our house and none but the a few solar lights at the pond and chicken coops and rabbit hutches.
How secure is your coop? Do you have pics?

16927076255654861833150411443771.jpg
16927077745456747170221772723410.jpg
so there's the main coop and then I'm the back is the hoop coop and they just sleep on top of the coop and theres the door that doesn't latch since this year but so far they do fine and the ducks are besides them and then the rabbits after that.. one year we had something get into the hoop coop but i think it was a raccoon or opossum something ..ate the heads off and their behinds since that time nothing.

Attachments

• 1000005876.jpg
    1000005876.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 5
View attachment 3616460View attachment 3616463so there's the main coop and then I'm the back is the hoop coop and they just sleep on top of the coop and theres the door that doesn't latch since this year but so far they do fine and the ducks are besides them and then the rabbits after that.. one year we had something get into the hoop coop but i think it was a raccoon or opossum something ..ate the heads off and their behinds since that time nothing.
You need to make sure all of the chicken doors can latch or close shut, and that everything can be locked up with the chickens inside.
Opossums usually go after chicks and eggs, but raccoon will eat or bite the chickens’ heads off and drag them around.
They’re really clever when it comes to getting inside of things, so you need to inspect your coop and make sure there are no spots that a raccoon can get inside. They can open things that aren’t locked or securely latched too.

I haven't seen any other animals in my yard this year could have came at night I guess. But I found dead pigeon in my chickens coop and wondered if they would kill it eating just the head..? Didn't notice until this morning.
I believe they would if they could catch it or if they found it already dead. I had some chickens that hunted down and killed my quail and ate their heads.

View attachment 3616460View attachment 3616463so there's the main coop and then I'm the back is the hoop coop and they just sleep on top of the coop and theres the door that doesn't latch since this year but so far they do fine and the ducks are besides them and then the rabbits after that.. one year we had something get into the hoop coop but i think it was a raccoon or opossum something ..ate the heads off and their behinds since that time nothing.
The door has a string attached to it that we pull up and put it to a nail to hold up to let them out in the morning and close at night
In addition to raccoons, opposums and owls also eat the heads of birds.
There's a net above probably either raccoon or opossum. But that is good to know. I have not seen any owls near us but maybe someday bc that would be pretty cool to see. The owls I mean. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom