Do chickens lay eggs in the winter?

newtochickening

Chirping
Sep 25, 2020
We got some chicks in September, and some breeds were estimated to start laying now (i.e. ISA Brown). Are they not laying because it's too cold? Anything we can do to support them?

Add light. If pullets are not laying by the solstice there is a chance they won't lay until spring. To counter that and for hen winter production you supplement light. Have the light on timer turn on in coop earlier than sunrise and turn off after you let them out in morning. If you total 12 hours of "daylight" they'll start laying in week or two. You can pull the light beginning of March, the Equinox is March 20th.

By light I mean a led in cool or warm white that produces 1000+ lumens in a medium sized coop. If a small 4x4 coop then a wee 9w led is more than enough- 800 lumens. Just remember to double secure any plug in light with wire. Don't rely on the clamp. Coop fires do happen.

Edit- dubbing around and found this instead of screw in lightbulb- right spectrum and three options of size. 10 inch would work for small coop, 16 inch for medium coop.

https://www.amazon.com/GE-Premium-C...led+plug+in+light&qid=1610503389&sr=8-13&th=1

Last edited:
My 5 sex link just started to lay last week, born August 13ish ... I bet you get an egg in a couple weeks if you have happy birds :) below, what a golden comet kinda looks like right before it lays ..
AC67877D-09C8-4778-A6D7-67348384C6E2.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom