Do duck re-establish the pecking order? Sudden case of bullying.

@KaleIAm

Thank you for your feedback! It helps to know things can shuffle around due to changes in the flock and just over time. We originally had 2 ducks, Herman and Momma Duck but we adopted Momma Duck as a companion for Herman, but she was really old, so we got two more ducks from TSC who turned out to both be boys 😓

The pecking order then went:

Neptune (Boy, Pekin)
Cassie (Boy, Rouen)
Herman (Buff)
Momma Duck (Cayuga/Rouen hybrid?)

After a year or so we let Herman have her own ducklings, with the plan to give some to my in-laws for their farm. Momma Duck passed shortly after we had 10 ducklings. 5 ducklings went to the farm and 2 boys went to some 4H friends who love boy ducks. Unfortunately Otters attacked the duck coup at the Farm and got in, and got 3 of the ducks so we took the 2 survivors back.

The pecking order then started looking like:

Neptune (boy)
Cassie (boy)
Herman (girl)
Triton (boy)
Juniper (girl)
Freya (girl)
Booster (boy, survived otter attack)
Eleven (girl, survived otter attack)

With Cassie as the "De facto" top-duck since Neptune basically never bothered anybody.

As of today I'm pretty sure all the commotion is some sort of false-spring. Everybody is mating like crazy and the girls were getting chased around last night on the duck-cam and this morning I'm seeing them chase the girls around. So the boys are in drake jail today. I don't know why the mating started so suddenly, it's been really cold here. At the very least it all seems to be mating-related and not necessarily pecking order, so that sort of solves that mystery.

On another note we have way too many males now; we're looking for a home for Booster but I want him to go to a nice home and not someone who will just eat him...he's a big sweetie and loves peas. Maybe I should make a thread for him over on the Washington State thread? I know trying to get boys rehomed is tough though.

Update:

Locked the boys up into two seperate areas in the duck coop and left the girls outside today to have a break. Everyone is just ridiculously horny/snappy for some reason, no idea what's going on. Divided the drakes so the two oldest are together (they're buddies) and the two "duckling" drakes are together.

Now the girls are outside mating each other in the big pool. I just don't understand sometimes. 🥴

@KaleIAm

Thank you for your feedback! It helps to know things can shuffle around due to changes in the flock and just over time. We originally had 2 ducks, Herman and Momma Duck but we adopted Momma Duck as a companion for Herman, but she was really old, so we got two more ducks from TSC who turned out to both be boys 😓

The pecking order then went:

Neptune (Boy, Pekin)
Cassie (Boy, Rouen)
Herman (Buff)
Momma Duck (Cayuga/Rouen hybrid?)

After a year or so we let Herman have her own ducklings, with the plan to give some to my in-laws for their farm. Momma Duck passed shortly after we had 10 ducklings. 5 ducklings went to the farm and 2 boys went to some 4H friends who love boy ducks. Unfortunately Otters attacked the duck coup at the Farm and got in, and got 3 of the ducks so we took the 2 survivors back.

The pecking order then started looking like:

Neptune (boy)
Cassie (boy)
Herman (girl)
Triton (boy)
Juniper (girl)
Freya (girl)
Booster (boy, survived otter attack)
Eleven (girl, survived otter attack)

With Cassie as the "De facto" top-duck since Neptune basically never bothered anybody.

As of today I'm pretty sure all the commotion is some sort of false-spring. Everybody is mating like crazy and the girls were getting chased around last night on the duck-cam and this morning I'm seeing them chase the girls around. So the boys are in drake jail today. I don't know why the mating started so suddenly, it's been really cold here. At the very least it all seems to be mating-related and not necessarily pecking order, so that sort of solves that mystery.

On another note we have way too many males now; we're looking for a home for Booster but I want him to go to a nice home and not someone who will just eat him...he's a big sweetie and loves peas. Maybe I should make a thread for him over on the Washington State thread? I know trying to get boys rehomed is tough though.
You might as well post on the Washington State thread, and the rehoming thread. If no one is interested you'll just be in the same place, right?

My girls were making stacks of 3 until they were 5 years old and finally started to settle down. They still mated several times daily. Their drive to reproduce is impressive. They never injured each other, though, and always asked and got permission from the other duck before mating. I think that is what is different from most drakes. Though I hear some drakes are gentlemen.

I don't know much about drakes.

However, I can answer your question about the pecking order changing in an all female flock, as it happened in my flock. The short answer is yes!! It happens! Read on to hear the details.

Initially I had 5 ducks. Their pecking order went:

Pigweed
Clover
Thimbleberry
Nettle
Plantain

A few months later I adopted a young duck named Gingersnap and she was placed securely at the bottom.

When the ducks were about 9 month of age Pigweed and Clover amicably switched spots. Pecking order then went:

Clover
Pigweed
Thimbleberry
Nettle
Plantain
Gingersnap

About 6 months later Plantain and Gingersnap amicably switched spots. Everyone got along great and mated many times a day. Clover frequently requested Plantain "hop on top."

Years passed and slowly I lost 4 of my ducks to cancer and other diseases. But the pecking order stayed the same.

Pigweed
Nettle

Until this last summer. Suddenly Nettle, submissive for the last 7 years has started saying to Pigweed, "actually that's my food you can't eat that." And Pigweed, the dominant Lord of all Food says, "oh you are right. Sorry I'll just go over here and get out of your way."

So now I have two bowls so Pigweed can get enough food. Because my pecking order goes:

Nettle
Pigweed
I’m sorry you lost your ducks! That’s so sad. Are you ever planning on getting any more?

I’m also curious what type of duck you have in your profile picture? It’s beautiful. Is it a welsh harlequin?

I’m sorry you lost your ducks! That’s so sad. Are you ever planning on getting any more?

I’m also curious what type of duck you have in your profile picture? It’s beautiful. Is it a welsh harlequin?
Thank you, yes losing my ducks was very sad. It was over the last 7 years though and I take comfort knowing that I have them a very good life full of mealworms, swimming and foraging walks. They were very happy ducks. I also tried to save each one with veterinarian care.

No, when my last duck passes away I think that's it for me. I adore them, and it has been fun. It is also a lot more work, heart break, and expense than I anticipated or want. I just can't have livestock, I can only have pets. And my ducks have been too fragile and vets can't fix them as easily as other animals.

Yes! The duck in my profile picture is a welsh harlequin! She's mostly white with just a few black flecks when she's in her summer "outfit." Her name is Pigweed, she's the best.

Back
Top Bottom