Do ducks have a teenage phase

danielduckwolf

In the Brooder
Mar 13, 2021
My oldest duckling used to love cuddles but as of late he or she has wanted to be near me but not in my lap. the other one is like the young child that does what the older sibling does but if i put him on my lap he wont try and get off he will go to his special place and cuddle. After a while the older one will get jealous and hop on my lap and either finds her own place or forces the younger one off.

and the older one loves my hair and likes to try and eat it. she also likes to try and eat my finger. and the younger one likes biting my lips or mustache. or trying to get my teeth.

you have to spend lots of time with ducks to keep them friendly, my oldest will be two next month and still love cuddles

Attachments

• D8880714-469C-43E9-B032-3FD4F702AAE3.jpeg
    D8880714-469C-43E9-B032-3FD4F702AAE3.jpeg
    301.6 KB · Views: 23
Many people find that their ducks go through a teenager phase, where they become more distant and less interested in snuggle time. They usually report that their ducks return to normal after the phase is over.

My own ducks became aware that scary things, like hawks, were dangerous during their teenager phase. I got a pass from the usual teenage fear/shunning.

I encourage you to not force them to accept your affection. In my experience that makes experiences negative and having as many positive experiences as possible is what makes ducks want more.

my ducks did go through a teenager phase and it scared me because they went from always wanting to be around me to “no mom go away were on our own now” but it didn’t last long but I gave them their space and I was sad but after about a couple weeks of that I’d start just sitting with them again and sooner than later they were right back in my lap and now my girls are full grown Pekin ducks trying to both squeeze on my lap lol

Back
Top Bottom