Do I have two olive eggers ?

May 14, 2022
Hi all! I have a question. I'm a newbie to backyard chickens and always looking to learn more.
We have a small flock of 5 pullets. This week we had our first eggs and we were able to confirm which one laid them. She has laid everyday for 5 days, always in the nesting box, but small eggs which we know is normal for first layers. Today- I found an egg outside the Run door about 30 mins after we let them out to free range for a few hours. The egg is ALSO an olive egg , although looks slightly smaller than the egg yesterday
I know there is a chance I have at least one other olive egger in the flock. I guess i am curious -from someone more experienced than me - can a laying chickens eggs get smaller, especially if she is just starting to lay? Or is this a different chicken? I thought it was kind of weird she would lay in outside the run and not where she has before
Also I read it takes 25 hours for a chicken to make an egg. And this was about 3 hours early.

Attachments

• 20230820_180309.jpg
    20230820_180309.jpg
    405.2 KB · Views: 54
Hi all! I have a question. I'm a newbie to backyard chickens and always looking to learn more.
We have a small flock of 5 pullets. This week we had our first eggs and we were able to confirm which one laid them. She has laid everyday for 5 days, always in the nesting box, but small eggs which we know is normal for first layers. Today- I found an egg outside the Run door about 30 mins after we let them out to free range for a few hours. The egg is ALSO an olive egg , although looks slightly smaller than the egg yesterday
I know there is a chance I have at least one other olive egger in the flock. I guess i am curious -from someone more experienced than me - can a laying chickens eggs get smaller, especially if she is just starting to lay? Or is this a different chicken? I thought it was kind of weird she would lay in outside the run and not where she has before
Also I read it takes 25 hours for a chicken to make an egg. And this was about 3 hours early
First two eggs I realized they look brown after I washed the bloom off.

Also I read it takes 25 hours for a chicken to make an egg. And this was about 3 hours early.

Back
Top Bottom