DO I NEED MORE BOXES, my chickens are laying eggs everywhere in the coop and not in the boxes?

curlycropchics

Chirping
Mar 18, 2021
Hello,

so we just randomly decided in my flock of 6, lets just not use the 3 provided nesting boxes and lets literally just lay everywhere in the coop, even just right on top of the straw in the middle of the coop. I have cleaned out the nesting boxes, there wasn't poop or anything dirty. I am guessing maybe my dominate hen might be not allowing access? But then there are no eggs in the nesting boxes after she is in there.

I have noticed that my dominate girl has been seen rolling eggs out of the nesting box, but her's aren't in there either so I am just confused.

I put up a camera so I can go through and find my mover or if they are just laying outside the box. I was thinking of placing nesting boxes oppisite corners to allow for space to lay and not be nit picked.

I am not enjoying "lets find that egg".

Any suggestions would be helpful.

There may be different problems like there aren't enough nests (which you can just add more), they aren't comfortable with the nesting boxes (Make sure they are dry and in a dark area and check for bugs in the nesting boxes), they don't know where to lay (which you can solve by putting fake eggs in the nesting boxes to let them know that is where they lay) so you should try to see if you have any of these problems and fix it.

In my experience - chickens get notions about laying places. Sometimes they will all lay in one box...regardless if there are excellent and exactly the same boxes next to them. And then for no apparent reason, they will pick a different spot.

If mine start creating a nest on the bedding - just stick something in it, like a water bucket or something. Block off what you can to where they are laying now. Or sometimes I have blocked off the nest boxes for a couple of days, then opened them back up, and they are like "OH these are great places!" Crazy girls.

I place natural weeds and grass in my nest box.
And I add fresh weed or grass at least once a week.

Wind blows in from the west in my backyard so the main opening to my box faces east with a window for ventilation facing west. I don't want those Santa Ana wind gusts annoying my hens.

Any annoying pests in your area like rats or birds of prey?

I had a mating pair of hawks eye balling my hens last year and landed twice on the coop.
That freaked out the hens for a few weeks:eek:

My 4 hens give me, on most days, 4 eggs. One, that I believe is one of my RIR's and the one that gets picked on, is likely the one who lays in the straw under their roost. First egg of the day too. The other 3 lay in the nesting box in the smaller coop. Its nice and dark with plenty of room and when I get 4 eggs, 3 are in that box.
They had access to 4-6 other boxes but never used them so I took them out. My only concern with the hen laying under their perch is that sometimes the egg gets cracked even though I make sure the straw is fluffy underneath. I don't think she's laying from the perch so it's dropping. After reading the info here I think we are good. Thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom