Do I need to treat these cuts?

ForFlocksSake

Songster
Jun 2, 2023
North Florida/Panhandle
Not an emergency by any means but Im pretty upset. I bought a small port feeder from Rentacoop to use on my 4 week old chicks so they adjust to port feeders before they go outside with the big girls (I use a different brand out there.). This particular feeder has a small rectangle opening inside the port which I think it to accommodate smaller chicks. Well it's been in there 2 days and today I go look at my babies and 3 out of 4 have blood on the tops of their beaks, all in the same spot. I reached into the feeder since that was the only change in the brooder and sure enough the plastic is very sharp under there. poor things. I only got one good photo of the wounds but they all pretty much look like this. You can see it on my Polish straight on and the chick behind her from the side (though that one seems the most mild). The second photo is my Easter Egger and hers seems to have stopped bleeding. Should I leave this alone or clean it/treat it? I wouldn't worry about it if they were bigger but being so young concerns me.
IMG_3056.jpeg
IMG_3055.jpeg

I'd monitor, but doubt that it needs any treatment. Were you able to remedy the problem?
Thanks. I’m returning the feeder and leaving the original chick feeder in there till they are big enough to use big open ports. Im probably not describing it well but it seems like such a terrible design flaw I’m surprised they sell them at all.

Back
Top Bottom