Do Muscovy ducks make good pet ducks

HetaChick

Songster
8 Years
May 31, 2011
California
Hey duck peeps! I am fairly "new" to ducks, at least the more domesticated variety. I've had geese and mallard ducks (all of wild variety) so I know the basics and raising and all that but I was curious to know how good of a pet muscovy ducks make.

On a random note I found a mystery duck egg at a nearby park. There were 2 eggs in a nest in the open (i find them all the time) and one was busted…. and the other had scratches all over it but okay… so I took it. *shrugs* could also be muscovy but i'm not sure. Any one have any ideas? Its longish and cream colored. not as big around as the muscovy but not small like a mallard either. I've seen a billion different ducks there, mallard, rouen, runner, muscovy, and even a few cayuga along with any mix you can imagine. But most eggs I see are bluish or greenish, not cream. Any ideas? Thanks everyone. ^ ¬ ^

Not sure about your egg, but for clues about Muscovies as pets, see what Scovy Momma has had to say (do a search for her name and posts about her little one). Sounds good to me!

There are others, but hers is the name I thought of (before coffee), since she recently posted a video of her very talented, beautiful Muscovy doing karaoke. I kid you not.

to *somewhat* answer your post's title question....We recently acquired two scovy ducklings and they've been quite a different duck already at only 1 and a half months old! Already tamer than any of our others at their age (I've actually taught them to hop in my hand). They also seem to be alot more confident in approaching our other ducks when we introduced them. Our drakes would come up and give them a good nudge and they'd be right back to bugging them. LOL

Back
Top Bottom