Do my hens need vitamins over winter?

Baileybunchx5

Songster
Mar 1, 2023
Maryland
New to chickens. I have 10 hens. It’s been cold here in Maryland lately in the teens at night. Wondering if I should give them any vitamins in their water over the winter? They are on poulin Grain layer feed, I give some scratch, black fly larvae and a few scraps (cabbage and apples they love).

If they are eating a complete feed, they do not need extra vitamins at any time of the year.

Definitely do not put vitamins in their only source of water. Overdoses of some vitamins can be dangerous.

If putting vitamins in water will make you feel better, you could provide an extra waterer and put the vitamins in that-- it will probably do no harm, because the chickens will have the option to drink plain water instead.

If they are eating a complete feed, they do not need extra vitamins at any time of the year.

Definitely do not put vitamins in their only source of water. Overdoses of some vitamins can be dangerous.

If putting vitamins in water will make you feel better, you could provide an extra waterer and put the vitamins in that-- it will probably do no harm, because the chickens will have the option to drink plain water instead.
I think they are fine. I have only seen one of them loose a few feathers around back of neck and head but now new ones are in. Maybe a mild molt. This is their first year. Thank you

I put a tiny bit of vitamin powder in their water twice a month during winter and once a month during the other times. Doesn't hurt and it can only help keep them at peak condition.

Back
Top Bottom