Do peahens sometimes break their eggs?

I have 3 free range peahens and 8 peacocks, and I’ve been trying to find their nesting spots all spring but all I find is broken eggs. I have seen a Stoat running about, so I just assumed that was the culprit. I found a hen sitting on a clutch of 3 eggs yesterday, so I’ve been giving her a wide birth. This morning I’ve just seen her walk out carrying a broken egg and then go back and peck the other two eggs, although she hasn’t broken them.
Has anyone else seen this behaviour before? Could it be they’ve been doing this to their own eggs all along?

Last edited:
They can break their eggs and eat them. Sometimes they do it on purpose and sometimes they accidentally do it. But, they love fresh raw egg. When they do it on purpose, they call them "egg eaters". Many people have issues with this.

Isn't a stoat a member of the weasel family? It sounds like your chickens are free ranging? Stoats (weasels) will kill chickens. If it has access to your eggs, it has access to your chickens.

They can break their eggs and eat them. Sometimes they do it on purpose and sometimes they accidentally do it. But, they love fresh raw egg. When they do it on purpose, they call them "egg eaters". Many people have issues with this.

Isn't a stoat a member of the weasel family? It sounds like your chickens are free ranging? Stoats (weasels) will kill chickens. If it has access to your eggs, it has access to your chickens.
I’m sorry, I should have said Peahens, I don’t have chickens. I’ve edited my post to make that clearer

Back
Top Bottom