Do Polish chickens eyes Commonly look like this???

Raeganmh02

Songster
Jan 26, 2020
I never really thought about it until now, but is this how polish chickens eyes usually look? She can only open her eyes this much. All the polish in the pictures and other posts I’ve looked at seem to have perfectly round, alert looking eyes. However, this hens eyes have always been squinted, as if the weight of her crest is pushing down in her eyes causing her to be “half blind” in both eyes. My other polish has round, normal eyes, so I’m a bit concerned. Does anyone else have a polish with the eyes like this? Is it common due to her breed and crest size?

Attachments

• C367DDB7-5E61-4CC6-8575-526A4F88487E.jpeg
    C367DDB7-5E61-4CC6-8575-526A4F88487E.jpeg
    458.9 KB · Views: 101
  • CC318F27-314F-4BB8-8AE3-A16A22EEF3FC.jpeg
    CC318F27-314F-4BB8-8AE3-A16A22EEF3FC.jpeg
    401.7 KB · Views: 21
  • C004D6AD-FCCF-46D1-BDF9-11A23603C42E.jpeg
    C004D6AD-FCCF-46D1-BDF9-11A23603C42E.jpeg
    421.5 KB · Views: 26
I never really thought about it until now, but is this how polish chickens eyes usually look? She can only open her eyes this much. All the polish in the pictures and other posts I’ve looked at seem to have perfectly round, alert looking eyes. However, this hens eyes have always been squinted, as if the weight of her crest is pushing down in her eyes causing her to be “half blind” in both eyes. My other polish has round, normal eyes, so I’m a bit concerned. Does anyone else have a polish with the eyes like this? Is it common due to her breed and crest size?
Their eyes should be round and bright, not swollen, so yes, there is something wrong with it. @Kiki @Lemon-Drop

She has been like this almost all her life, ever since she got her full crest at about 2 months. I am new to raising crested chickens, so I was not sure if it was something to be concerned about. I just assumed it was normal due to their crests. I she was around that 2-month age when the weight of her crest started putting weight on her upper eyelids and/or the skin above her eye. She is 1 year and 4 months old now. When she was a chick she had completely normal eyes. she got a full crest way before the other 8 polish chicks in her group did. She also has the biggest crest out of them all, which I didn’t capture in the images above. I’ll send one of her crest before I started trimming it.

Attachments

• 3037C4E8-BA9B-43FD-AE32-F8A5DC6A0A2E.jpeg
    3037C4E8-BA9B-43FD-AE32-F8A5DC6A0A2E.jpeg
    668.6 KB · Views: 24
Wow, that's a FULL crest. I never had Polish but adding my 2 cents worth ....
The first 3 pics, the center one she has feathers around her eye, the other two is missing feathers .... they look plucked and not trimmed? Are you trimming with a scissors or plucking her feathers? It could just be an irritation.
You may want to contact someone that raises Polish about her crest. Sure it pretty.

Her eyes have also always had a darker, purplish color under them (like sleepy baggy eyes under a person). Also, I was holding up her crest to get the 1st and 3rd picture so you could see the upper part of her eye better as well. She has this “skin wrinkle” above her eye. I am guessing it’s just extra skin above her eye. 🤷‍♀️

I trim her crest feathers, however, they have a bad habit of rubbing their heads and crests against the cage run while waiting to be let out In the morning. I think that is why she has such bad feathers near her comb. She rubes them off. They also had lice not too long ago. I gave them a tea tree oil and vinegar spa bath which got rid of them all.

Is it possible you got some solution in her eye? It's not inflamed not red, so that's good, Maybe the lack of feathering is causing her squinting? Check them again for lice/mites as they need to be retreating (eggs hatch) and check their enclosure.

I have the same issue and need advice!

Back
Top Bottom