Do Scaly Leg Mites Go Dormant in Winter?

Mossy Dell

Songster
8 Years
Dec 1, 2015
Southwestern VA
I'm treating my first case of Scaley Leg Mites, in an introduced bird. I've treated the bird with Ivermectin and coating the legs, starting about 6 weeks ago, and have seen minimal improvement.

A key question this raises for me is whether in winter these microscopic mites go dormant and are not feeding? This would make them much less vulnerable to poisoning and perhaps also to smothering treatment.

I'm drawing a blank seeking expert sources on the mites' life cycle, however
. I've googled around a lot, figuring that more scientific articles would go into more depth, but can't find this aspect discussed.

Our nights are still in the 20s, warming into the 50s in the daytime, and I guestimate the mites don't become active, feeding and breeding, until the nights are much warmer. But does anyone know?

Since the mites burrow into the skin, it can take some time to see improvement. Depending on the severity of the damage it can take months and months to see improvement, though the mites may be gone. It's generally recommended to continue to treat (at least coating the legs) several times a week until you start seeing improvement. If a bird had a great deal of damage then the legs/feet could possibly never look totally normal again. Do you have pictures of the bird in question?

Coach, I agree I'm impatient. All the same, do you know if these mites are dormant in winter?

It seems a huge waste of time to hit this as hard as I have if the mites do not become very vulnerable until warmer weather.

I've never heard that they go dormant. Since they burrow into the skin I can't imagine that the ambient temperature would make any difference, their environment is going to be the blood temperature of the bird.

I've never heard that they go dormant. Since they burrow into the skin I can't imagine that the ambient temperature would make any difference, their environment is going to be the blood temperature of the bird.
But if they essentially hibernate, they are not feeding. So Ivermectin in the bird's blood does no good, and smothering agents would be less effective. I hypothesize!

But if they essentially hibernate, they are not feeding. So Ivermectin in the bird's blood does no good, and smothering agents would be less effective. I hypothesize!
I have silkies who are prone to leg mites. We use FG DE so don't get the other mites, but that sure doesn't help with these! The first two times, a couple of years apart, I used Vaseline mixed with some D&E ointment, went in at night, and slathered their feet and legs. I did this every other night for three times. It worked both times.

This last time, about two months ago, I had doubled the number of birds so wasn't about to grease up 28 feathered feet. I got the Ivermectin 5% pour on, and per directions on BYC and bitchin chickens it's 1 drop of it for my silkies, on the skin of their back, repeat in 10 days. I see drastic improvement but a long way to go yet. It takes a long time I know from the previous times.

I have never, ever, heard that they hibernate. Again, the temperature of the bird is going to protect them from the temperature outside. They are microscopic and in the skin. Whatever season it is, isn't going to affect them. Many people have to treat for them in the winter, birds that stay inside more are more prone to the close/direct contact that can spread them.

I have silkies who are prone to leg mites. We use FG DE so don't get the other mites, but that sure doesn't help with these! The first two times, a couple of years apart, I used Vaseline mixed with some D&E ointment, went in at night, and slathered their feet and legs. I did this every other night for three times. It worked both times.

This last time, about two months ago, I had doubled the number of birds so wasn't about to grease up 28 feathered feet. I got the Ivermectin 5% pour on, and per directions on BYC and bitchin chickens it's 1 drop of it for my silkies, on the skin of their back, repeat in 10 days. I see drastic improvement but a long way to go yet. It takes a long time I know from the previous times.
Thanks, Debbie. Seems like between you and Coach my answer is that winter eradication efforts can work. I'll just keep at it . . .

Back
Top Bottom