Do these look pure Deathlayer? (Deathatcher)

I have hatched a bunch of different breeds over the last year. The ONLY breed I have struggled to hatch have been Deathlayers. Hence the Deathatcher name I’ve given them. But... I separated an older pullet and an older cockerel, maybe 10 months old, into a breeding run. She laid about every other day for a few weeks, then I started collecting the eggs for hatching.

The cockerel does his job, no doubt about it. Every time I go out there they’re doing their thing. Anywho, the eggs had about 80% fertility from the two birds. I put 6 in the incubator and 2 made it to hatch today. The others died mid incubation.

Are their colors off? When my silvers hatched they were a darker brown. Has anyone else hatched Silver Deathlayers and had lighter colored chicks? Somewhere I just read the lighter ones are female. Can’t be correct, as my older pullet was darker brown like the cockerels. Stumped.

The two in the nursery bin.
View attachment 2363290
View attachment 2363316
They are Deathlayers. I strongly urge people to not try and attempt this rare breed of German chickens. They are very inbred, hard to raise and die easily. There is only one bloodline in the USA. They are not a backyard chicken breed, rather a rare endangered chicken, very sensitive and vulnerable to diseases and their environment. Only the most experienced chicken breeders should work with these. I am raising some and very nervous about it.
They should never be kept with other chickens, but in a separate cage or pen and closely watched.

They are Deathlayers. I strongly urge people to not try and attempt this rare breed of German chickens. They are very inbred, hard to raise and die easily. There is only one bloodline in the USA. They are not a backyard chicken breed, rather a rare endangered chicken, very sensitive and vulnerable to diseases and their environment. Only the most experienced chicken breeders should work with these. I am raising some and very nervous about it.
They should never be kept with other chickens, but in a separate cage or pen and closely watched.
Thank you for your input. I’m aware they are Deathlayers. Their down color is what made it tough to confirm. But this is an old post.

I have a rare breed flock and they all live together just fine. Not in this for show and will continue to breed them for my personal flock.

Just hatched out another 3 Deathlayer chicks with normal down colors. Healthy, with no hatching problems. The other, older two are with the main flock freerange and now laying.

Again, thanks for the input, but Deathlayers are everywhere. Almost every chicken person I know has one or a flock of them in Washington. Pretty soon they will be like Ayam Cemanis.

Thank you for your input. I’m aware they are Deathlayers. Their down color is what made it tough to confirm. But this is an old post.

I have a rare breed flock and they all live together just fine. Not in this for show and will continue to breed them for my personal flock.

Just hatched out another 3 Deathlayer chicks with normal down colors. Healthy, with no hatching problems. The other, older two are with the main flock freerange and now laying.

Again, thanks for the input, but Deathlayers are everywhere. Almost every chicken person I know has one or a flock of them in Washington. Pretty soon they will be like Ayam Cemanis.
Thanks. I am trying to raise some. Ive heard mixed stories and even my supplier has had problems with them. Im hoping mine will make it.

Back
Top Bottom