Do we have the dreaded pox?

curlewgirl

In the Brooder
Sep 23, 2023
I noticed an ashy, raised bump on the comb of one of my Welbars two days ago, and yesterday it turned dark. I isolated her into a chicken prison when it turned dark, and she's been living in her own little space with food and water for the last day. Here are a couple of photos:

From a backyard outing to get some sun today -
1000017228.jpg

From yesterday -

1000017190.jpg

It's the only one she has and I'm not seeing others rising up yet anywhere else on her comb or face. In keeping an eye on the rest of the flock, I can't see any other bumps coming up on combat just yet either.

I've had one other chicken owner suggest to me that maybe this is a comb injury from another hen. In general, my flock is pretty peaceful, and this beauty (Sparky) is typically toward the top of the pecking order... I would LOVE for this to be a comb injury, but I am also in Utah and I know we're getting hit pretty hard with fowl pox right now, and the area I'm in has horrific mosquito problems worse than any other year I've experienced.

So my major question! Does this look like fowl pox? If I managed to isolate her before the lesion started scabbing, is there any chance of avoiding spread through the flock? I have 11 other birds -- five 26-weekers who are just starting to lay and six 16-weekers. Am I just going to have to commit to dealing with this with everybody over the winter?

Second thing -- I'd love any advice for mitigating the effects and helping my girls as much as possible. I know there's no cure for fowl pox, but I feel horrible when they're sick.

I have Denegard coming in case of respiratory infection, and my husband is bringing oxine to treat their water preventatively and potentially to clean out the coop and run. I also have sulphur powder to mix with Vaseline, and Lugol's iodine for the sores. Is there anything else I should make sure I have to help with whatever might come up?

At this time, it looks like an injury. If you wish, you can paint it with Iodine.

Fowl Pox is a virus spread by mosquitoes, if it's Dry Form, it will resolve on its own over the course of several weeks and once the birds recover, they will have resistance.

It's up to you whether to quarantine her. I never do if I have one that has Fowl Pox, it's going to do what it does, I've never had a bird go off food, they just had scabs that dried up and fell off in a few weeks. I don't even treat the scabs, but a lot of people do.

Denagard treats Mycoplasma only in poultry, so do you expect for them to have respiratory disease? Just curious?

Here's some reading for you.
https://the-chicken-chick.com/fowl-pox-prevention-treatmen/

Back
Top Bottom