Does anybody know much about “Asian black” chickens from Hoover?

SMT1994

Hatching
May 21, 2022
I bought these from a bin at the feed store just labeled “pullets” and the people working the chick area didn’t know anything at all which is typical. I’ve looked and looked online and I think they’re what Hoover Hatchery is calling “Asian black” which I think might be some mix of RIR, langshan, and BR? Does anyone have input on the breed? Laying habits? Personality? Pictures of grown hens? Thanks!! Just wondering what they’ll be like when they’re older. I hate when feed stores don’t label the bins!!
07565BEC-8B25-4BEC-A5AF-5255F1020490.jpeg

I bought these from a bin at the feed store just labeled “pullets” and the people working the chick area didn’t know anything at all which is typical. I’ve looked and looked online and I think they’re what Hoover Hatchery is calling “Asian black” which I think might be some mix of RIR, langshan, and BR? Does anyone have input on the breed? Laying habits? Personality? Pictures of grown hens? Thanks!! Just wondering what they’ll be like when they’re older. I hate when feed stores don’t label the bins!! View attachment 3461851
My Asian black was wonderful. Docile, an egg a day in any weather, big and beautiful, very hardy. I loved her!!

I thought they stopped producing these?
They very well may have. When I posted originally the chicks were just a few days old, and they are seemingly very late coming into their “barred” pattern. Later than any other barred hens I’ve had in the past. Also, they didn’t seem to look just exactly like the chick pictures I found online either. This is probably due to poor mass breeding genetics. But I think after some time has passed I’ve concluded that they must just be plain old barred rock hens.

Asian blacks aren't barred
I know that. Re read the above comment I made. Since making this post weeks ago, the chicks have feathered out and their barring has come in, just much later than usual. That is why I was unsure of what they were, being that they weren’t colored the same as other barred varieties from hatch that I had raised previously. Now I’m sure they’re just barred Plymouth Rock hens and not Asian blacks. Their odd coloration at hatch is most likely a result of poor quality genetics, as this is a bulk Hatchery I have no personal experience with, and they came from a “bargain bin” at the feed mill.

Back
Top Bottom