does anyone have a diy flock block recipe?

Chick2chicken

Songster
6 Years
Mar 19, 2017
Canada
Hi all,
I was just wondering if anyone has a diy flock block that they'd be willing to share with me! I've tried a bunch of the recipes i've found online but for some reason the chickens wont touch them?
thanks in advance
-Alex

If you type Flock Block Recipes in the Search, you'll get back quite a few recipes.

Several years ago, I used to make small ones (about muffin size) but it seemed that birds were only interested in eating the block and ignored their food. So I quit but a lot of people like making them, so give it a try! :)

This is my recipe. There are several recipes you can get online. If you have just a few birds it's probably not worth the time to make the cakes and probably just as cost efficient to buy a flock block. TSC carries them. I have a lot of birds. I originally put around 4 cups of scratch, sunflower seeds, feed, a couple of cups of rolled oats and a cup of worms a with the other ingredients and water to make the mixture nice and moist but not soupy so it will hold together. I mixed it in a 5 gallon bucket. I did spray the bottom of the pots with pam. They came out great.

Flock Cakes
Ingredients

• Scratch (amounts used of the ingredients depends on how large you want to make your flock blocks)
  • Sunflower seeds (depending on the amount being made)
  • Grower feed (any feed on hand, Layer, Grower, pellets or crumples, whatever is on hand)
  • Oats (rolled)
  • Worms (optional)
  • Eggs (usually 3 to 6 eggs depending on the amount being made)
  • Molasses (1/4 to 1/2 cup, depending on the amount being made)
  • Flour (1 cup to around 4+ cups, depending on the amount being made)
  • Coconut shortening (melted) (1/4 to 1 cup, depending on the amount being made)
  • Mix ingredients thoroughly (I use a 5 gallon bucket). Hands work well for mixing.
  • I mix the eggs and egg shells in a food processor.
  • Pack into greased pans and put into a 225ºF oven for 2 hours.
  • Remove from pans and put inverted flock blocks on cookie sheet(s) and put back into a 225ºF oven for an additional 2 hours.
My oven turns off automatically at whatever time I set it for. I leave the blocks in the oven over night when the oven turns off. It takes quite awhile for the cakes to get hard.

I substituted what I have on hand
Corn syrup for Molasses
Any flour I have on hand
Any oil or shortening

IMG_20191225_094954.jpg

IMG_20191227_101142.jpg

IMG_20191227_141710.jpg

Back
Top Bottom