Does anyone use Scratch & Peck Layer Feed? Do you feel it is worth the extra money spent?

Edenn_Jade

In the Brooder
Apr 27, 2019
Aloha!

I am located on the BI of Hawaii.

The primary feed brand here is Nutrena -- it seems to be what almost all of the feed stores carry.

I would like to up-grade my chickens to an Organic feed and am considering Scratch & Peck.

The price of Scratch & Peck is nearly twice what we pay for Nutrena which isn't organic.

If you feed Scratch & Peck -- do you see benefits, ETC to paying the extra money in feed? (Other than knowing your girls are eating Organic & more naturally)? ...

If you have layers, when you made the switch did you notice darker yolks? Did your egg production stay the same? Increase?

Thanks so much!

Just looking for feed back on this brand.

:)

Iv'e used it but didn't see any uptick in laying or better, darker yolks.
It is also only 25lbs so you have to ferment it for it to be even close to economical.
If you don't mind internet shopping i'd reccomend going with kalmbach, it smells sooo good and the chickens love it.:)https://www.chewy.com/s?page=1&rh=brand_facet:Kalmbach+Feeds

I think owner buy these expensive stuff more so for themselves than for the chickens! Chickens are like an extension of their owners, I suppose......

Aloha!

I am located on the BI of Hawaii.

The primary feed brand here is Nutrena -- it seems to be what almost all of the feed stores carry.

I would like to up-grade my chickens to an Organic feed and am considering Scratch & Peck.

The price of Scratch & Peck is nearly twice what we pay for Nutrena which isn't organic.

If you feed Scratch & Peck -- do you see benefits, ETC to paying the extra money in feed? (Other than knowing your girls are eating Organic & more naturally)? ...

If you have layers, when you made the switch did you notice darker yolks? Did your egg production stay the same? Increase?

Thanks so much!

Just looking for feed back on this brand.

:)

I'm currently using Scratch & Peck organic starter feed as a "treat" for my chicks 2-3 times a day and they love it. They definitely prefer it to the Purina medicated crumbles that is in their feeders, though they will eat that as well if that is all that is available. Since they are only a few weeks old, I obviously can't comment as to egg quality, but they all seem happy and healthy so far. My plan is to switch them over to the Scratch & Peck feeds once the crumbles are gone, partly because I can grab it when I pick up my cat food instead of making a second stop somewhere else.

Iv'e used it but didn't see any uptick in laying or better, darker yolks.
It is also only 25lbs so you have to ferment it for it to be even close to economical.
If you don't mind internet shopping i'd reccomend going with kalmbach, it smells sooo good and the chickens love it.:)https://www.chewy.com/s?page=1&rh=brand_facet:Kalmbach+Feeds

Actually, my local pet store offers a 40 lb bag of Scratch & Peck for about the same price as the 50 lb bag of Kalmbach crumbles you linked to there. By the time I factor in the cost of shipping, I suspect the two would be very close in price per pound, for me at least. Prices no doubt vary by region.

I think owner buy these expensive stuff more so for themselves than for the chickens! Chickens are like an extension of their owners, I suppose......

I think that is true of all our pets. I readily admit I enjoy offering something that looks like actual seeds over boring crumbles and the chicks really do seem to prefer it, as well. (Though, given the option, I think they'd rather survive on scrambled eggs and crickets.:lau) I have also made my own cat food in the past and then abandoned the practice when the results didn't measure up to the effort. In any case, keeping chickens is a hobby and pretty much all aspects of it are "for me" so you certainly aren't wrong. ;)

Back
Top Bottom