Does temperature or season affect egg fertility?

thoeffel1994

Songster
11 Years
Feb 14, 2013
I'm trying to make plans for hatching some Cayuga and silver appleyard duck eggs this spring. I'm getting ready to separate the breeds into separate pens so I don't have a bunch of hybrids. I'm wondering if it matters how early I collect the hatching eggs. Does the temperature or season affect egg fertility?

They mate more frequently in warmer seasons so yes.
At what temperature do you think it shifts? I live in South Carolina so it doesn't exactly get brutally cold. But it does hit freezing at night and usually above freezing during the day time.

At what temperature do you think it shifts? I live in South Carolina so it doesn't exactly get brutally cold. But it does hit freezing at night and usually above freezing during the day time.
It's likely not a temperature thing but a daylight to hormones thing.
By Warmer seasons, I should have said longer days.

Do you want to use an incubator or let a broody hatch the eggs?

For both ways its best to collect eggs when they lay abundantly. Collect and mark the eggs with a pencil. Put the on date it.

It is best to store the eggs in a room where the temperature is between 8 and 16 degrees Celsius and where the humidity is not too low. For example, the basement is often an excellent storage place. Turn the eggs every day to prevent the yolk sticking to the shell.

If you or the hen starts brooding, use the most fresh eggs.

Back
Top Bottom