I posted a new message versus replying. I wanted to know at what point should we stop treating the wounds? We clean and put Corona on every other day right now. Most of the wounds are scabbed over except for the puncture closest to her neck. She gets upset when we try to put salve on her backside. There are two puncture wounds within an inch or two from her anus with a lot of bruising that I saw a few days ago under her skin. These seem to be very painful and the injuries that we suspect are causing her to limp/use her leg sparingly. She is patient with us though and understands we are helping her. I was giving her one baby aspirin two times per day with a raspberry, but she's not interested in the treat anymore so I stopped yesterday.

Any additional advice is welcome. Thanks.
I only applied the spray to mine for 2 or 3 days.
Some people probably go longer.
I wish I was at home so I could look up the second spray I used. It was recommended by the feed store and it not only has antibacterial properties but also coats the wound so it's protected. Unfortunately I will not be back for about a week.
I will try searching online for medicated wound treatments and if I find it I will post it.
This was the first spray I tried to apply to any rooster with any bad wound. Then later I tried to get Blu-Kote on it.

I think it was "Vetericyn Plus All Animal Wound Care Hydrogel Spray" from reading the description and the bottle looks what I had used.
Unfortunately, after the dog attack, I went to the feed store to buy Blu-Kote and got this spray on their recomendation. I do remember that it was rather pricey. They actually recommended it over Blu-Kote, but I bought both as I knew from reading on here that it is important to color the wound in order to prevent others from pecking at it.

Yesterday, we let her sister out of the pen with her. She seemed to peck once but our girl put her in her place. They spent at least 30 min together. Her mood seemed to pick up.

Do you know where I can get the Aquamox to at least have on hand? Thanks for the reply.
I had put the information in that reply. @LuciferRoo I see did too. It's too bad Chewy doesn't sell it anymore as that's where I got mine, but it is still sold many places online or if you happen to have a nearby pet store that sells aquarium fish.

Per @casportpony, her vet said 57 mg per pound.

I hope your hen recovers and sounds like she is getting better. :love

Edited to correct typo. It is 57 mg of amoxicillin per lb of the chicken, not .57 as I typed.

Last edited:
I had put the information in that reply. @LuciferRoo I see did too. It's too bad Chewy doesn't sell it anymore as that's where I got mine, but it is still sold many places online or if you happen to have a nearby pet store that sells aquarium fish.

Per @casportpony, her vet said .57 mg per pound.

I hope your hen recovers and sounds like she is getting better. :love

As far dosage, that works out to about 1/2 of a 500mg pill for about a 5lbs bird.

I mixed that into about a half a teaspoon of coconut oil, which I then put into the fridge for a few minutes to get it to solidify a bit before giving it to the patient.
I did try to have 3 or 4 small pieces in order to make it easier to eat.
It worked like a charm.

I posted a new message versus replying. I wanted to know at what point should we stop treating the wounds? We clean and put Corona on every other day right now. Most of the wounds are scabbed over except for the puncture closest to her neck. She gets upset when we try to put salve on her backside. There are two puncture wounds within an inch or two from her anus with a lot of bruising that I saw a few days ago under her skin. These seem to be very painful and the injuries that we suspect are causing her to limp/use her leg sparingly.
Treat wounds until they are completely healed.

Per @casportpony, her vet said .57 mg per pound.
Amoxicillin is 57mg per pound of weight given orally 2 times a day for 7-10days.

.57 will not be effective....

Back
Top Bottom