Dog attacked my guinea

Howerton5

Hatching
Apr 13, 2024
I am an accidental Guinea owner. A couple of lavender specimens rolled down my driveway 2 falls ago and set up camp. I found them amusing. One is gone now. The other one likes to attack me when he can but that’s another post.

My new lab mix rescue dog got hold of the bird and pulled out some feathers. I think maybe the wing was affected as he couldn’t get up if he fell on his back. He’s safe from the dog in a stall currently.

My thought was that when he could fly he could be let out of the stall but will that have to wait until the molt?

Thanks for any help.

I am an accidental Guinea owner. A couple of lavender specimens rolled down my driveway 2 falls ago and set up camp. I found them amusing. One is gone now. The other one likes to attack me when he can but that’s another post.

My new lab mix rescue dog got hold of the bird and pulled out some feathers. I think maybe the wing was affected as he couldn’t get up if he fell on his back. He’s safe from the dog in a stall currently.

My thought was that when he could fly he could be let out of the stall but will that have to wait until the molt?

Thanks for any help.
Are there wounds? If so, many of us swear by Veterycin/MicrocynAH for the simplest most effective wound care.
Yes, damage/loss of more than a few flight or tail feathers can render a bird flightless until the next molt, and that could be quite a long time. Meanwhile, you'd have a very depressed bird living alone and locked in a stall all of the time.
Any chance you'd consider getting more guinea to give him companions? Not all males are alike, so I can't swear by the results, but my males tend to take over raising keets, so when I've incubated, I tend to turn them over to my boys at around 4 weeks, if it's warm enough. Again, that's not a scientific fact, just my experience. You could start with a look/no touch period until they are comfortable with each other.
But then you would need to provide an enclosure to give them freedom to graze outside free from the pup, whether it's with the additions or just the lone guinea.
If that's not possible, consider finding a bird rehab or someone who has guineas who would take yours in. Guinea are sociable/flock birds who don't really do well on their own. Some take special needs singletons into their hearts, but then YOU are his companion. It sounds like he's already set in his ways regarding humans, but you could try if you're willing. It entails a lot of time,patience, treats and snuggly towels to protect him and you.
Guinea don't rely on flight that often. Infact they tend to forget they can do it most of the time, so that's not a crisis. Preventing further injury is, as well as preventing wasting away and depression from being locked up all the time.

Are there wounds? If so, many of us swear by Veterycin/MicrocynAH for the simplest most effective wound care.
Yes, damage/loss of more than a few flight or tail feathers can render a bird flightless until the next molt, and that could be quite a long time. Meanwhile, you'd have a very depressed bird living alone and locked in a stall all of the time.
Any chance you'd consider getting more guinea to give him companions? Not all males are alike, so I can't swear by the results, but my males tend to take over raising keets, so when I've incubated, I tend to turn them over to my boys at around 4 weeks, if it's warm enough. Again, that's not a scientific fact, just my experience. You could start with a look/no touch period until they are comfortable with each other.
But then you would need to provide an enclosure to give them freedom to graze outside free from the pup, whether it's with the additions or just the lone guinea.
If that's not possible, consider finding a bird rehab or someone who has guineas who would take yours in. Guinea are sociable/flock birds who don't really do well on their own. Some take special needs singletons into their hearts, but then YOU are his companion. It sounds like he's already set in his ways regarding humans, but you could try if you're willing. It entails a lot of time,patience, treats and snuggly towels to protect him and you.
Guinea don't rely on flight that often. Infact they tend to forget they can do it most of the time, so that's not a crisis. Preventing further injury is, as well as preventing wasting away and depression from being locked up all the time.
Thanks for the info. Not really what I wanted to hear, but he’s not as nice as when there were two so I get the social aspect.

If I get another bird do they accept each other quickly?

If I lend him to my neighbor (who has everything farm like) will I be able to get him back to me once he’s healed?

I really wasn’t expecting the attack from my dog so that will be dealt with.

Dogs and cats hunt instinctively, and all poultry are prey animals. Unless the animal just has a low prey instinct an attack is inevitable unless you specifically train them out of it.

Thanks for the info. Not really what I wanted to hear, but he’s not as nice as when there were two so I get the social aspect.

If I get another bird do they accept each other quickly?

If I lend him to my neighbor (who has everything farm like) will I be able to get him back to me once he’s healed?

Those are loaded questions! :gig- and neither ones that can be answered 100%, bc my experiences will be very different from someone else's.
Like I said (hmm..,I think I do?🤔), my boys love keets- so much so that they can be better parents than some hens. Others have males that will try or succeed in killing them. Hence, look no touch period.
If you add an adult- I'd still go with look no touch. A female adult would be more easily accepted. Males will fight for dominance. There are some that will tell you 2 isn't enough-and yet you had 2 who were perfectly content. If someone has an outcast female they want to rehome, she'd probably be happy, as long as he doesn't beat her up, too.(look, no touch. Now is a good season for acceptance though).
As for the dog, sadly most will tell you that once they get the taste for blood and guinea, it's a done deal. There are reports in the forum on this.
Mine are all shelties. One mothers them, one stays as far away from them as possible, and one isn't allowed outside when they are loose bc he wants to bite. That's easier to control in a small dog. And if you have small kids around, they might become fair game as well. If my grans are here & out playing, it's the same-mother, avoid, and locked up. Oh, and the son-in-law-the dog hates the son-in-law.
Will you get him back from the farmer? 🤷‍♀️. If the farmer doesn't keep him penned for atleast a month, the bird will attempt to return home.
Once he accepts the farm as home, you'd have to do the same if you took him back.
If the farmer has chickens, some chicken owners love guinea bc they guard the flock... But they will mate with a chicken, so depending on the farmer's frame of mind, he may love him or shoot him.
If you live in the country and want to keep your boy, *IMO* safe enclosure and keets are the way to go; inwhich case, welcome to the club!

I think the dog is lab/border collie. We are pretty sure that the best thing to do is find the bird a home. If the guy will take him and shelter him now looking like a homemade wreck I’ll give him up. He’s not unhappy in the stall—it’s got a window and is very airy and bright— but I know he would rather be with other birds. He likes to beat me up for fun.

Thanks for the info.

Back
Top Bottom